cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NelE
Message 1 of 3

Getting an engineer's visit!!!

I'm really interested to know how long the typical wait for a visit from a BT Open Reach engineer is these days. 

My property was flooded so I had to move house.  As a BT customer, I ordered my home move on 2nd December 2012, and was given the date of 1ST FEBRUARY 2013 for an engineer's visit.  The property I've moved to has a line to the property - it just needs some work at the exchange (apparently). 

I understand that BT is served by BT Open Reach, who serve all telecoms service providers, but come on....this is ridiculous!  I've been told that 2 months isn't unusual.  And as the end user, I can't complain direct to BT Open Reach.  Something needs to change. I know enough people who work for BT Open Reach (known as BT 'Ope & Pray to those who work there), to know that the engineers are given ridiculous work schedules, set by those who appear to have zero local knowledge, and that many employees get signed off with work related stress, due to the bad management. 

Being without a landline or broadband over Christmas and New Year, living in a new area, was no fun, and it gets less fun every day.  When I phone BT (in India) from my mobile, every few days, I'm promised my order will be escalated and I'll get a call back in 48 hours to update me.  Guess how many call backs I've had from BT!  Yep, you're right - zero! 

I'd like to hear from anyone else who's experiencing a similar problem as I'm talking to my MP about it and will be asking for it to be raised in the House of Commons.  BT Open Reach have this country over a barrell and it has to change.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Getting an engineer's visit!!!

Due to the ongoing bad weather Openreach are currently suffering from a very high workload and this is putting longer than normal delays on repairs an installations to attempt to reduce this very large workstack engineers are being moved around the UK in an attempt to reduce the wait but due to last years storms and flooding there has been considerable damage to the infrastructure
0 Ratings
Highlighted
NelE
Message 3 of 3

Re: Getting an engineer's visit!!!

@john46 wrote:
Due to the ongoing bad weather Openreach are currently suffering from a very high workload and this is putting longer than normal delays on repairs an installations to attempt to reduce this very large workstack engineers are being moved around the UK in an attempt to reduce the wait but due to last years storms and flooding there has been considerable damage to the infrastructure

John, thank you for this explanation - one of the many I've had from the BT staff.  However....had Openreach managed their business better over the last few years, and not taken on so many new (ie. inexperienced) engineers, and then made so many of the experienced ones redundant, the situation now wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is.  There wouldn't be so many jobs outsourced to 'telecoms' contractors who aren't qualified to do the work.  The work planning for the engineers is atrocious - jobs are planned, for the day, by people who have no local knowledge and seemingly little common sense.  Engineers are sent from the town they started the day in, 20 or 30 miles away to another town, then back to the one they started in - all planned in advance.  That's just one of the issues I'm aware of with Openreach, and my point is - the fact that Openreach provide the service for ALL telephone lines in the UK needs addressing.  Maybe this isn't the right place - this is my starting point, because as the end user, we can't talk to Openreach direct.

Another day with no phone line, no broad band, and a new set of excuses from BT who STILL haven't returned my call 'within 48 hours' as promised.  It's almost laughable - every time I call (at MY expense, from my mobile), and talk to the BT staff in India, I get the most amazing selection of explanations.  Never the same reason as to why it's not possible to get an engineer here in less than 2 months - including "they have to put a new line in to the area - there are no phone lines there".  REALLY?????  Yes, my neighbours have lines, and this house has....yes, you guessed it...a line!  BT and BT Openreach are a disgrace to the UK, and are holding the country back.  It needs to change.

0 Ratings