cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GillyFB
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 18

Going Ex-Directory

Been with British Telecom for years and never felt we needed to go Ex-Directory.  We do not want our number or address available if someone did a  British Telecom Directory search.

I did an online chat this morning and they said all set up but can take a few days.  Out of interest I have just looked at order - what does this mean?

Mon 5 Oct 2020
Product update

for Landline

Change of Text to Speech Message Curfew

Opt Out of Text To Speech

Please allow up to 24 hours for your change of settings to take effect.

Is that BT Speak for we are putting you Ex-Directory?  I hope it means we can carry on using our landline as normal - BUT - anyone else who doesn't know our number cannot go on  British Telecom Directory and also see our address?

Thank you if someone can clarify this for me.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: Going Ex-Directory

BT Text and text to speak are services that allow people to send text messages to your landline. They are converted to speech and read out to you. Ex-Directory is just that. Your number is removed from all online directories, printed directories and Directory Enquiry services

0 Ratings
GillyFB
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 18

Thank you -
'BT Text and text to speak are services that allow people to send text messages to your landline. They are converted to speech and read out to you. '
Sorry = that is so confusing - as long as our number and address is removed that's good. But the way you have written it really does sound like us 70 + plus year old need to learn another language.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

It sounds to me as though the person you spoke to misunderstood your requirements. Text to speech and ex directory are entirely different things.

0 Ratings
GillyFB
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 18

Oh! No!   For the first time I never asked for a transcript!  I made it quite clear - I wanted to be ex-directory.

So ...... mess up with getting previous order.  Now just to get this looks like it is wrong - so what does this order mean in simple terms?

What have I got coming?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

As @NigelB72  said, text to speech is when somebody sends a text message to your landline you are rung and the message is read out to you rather than getting it as a text message. It is if you don't have a text capable cordless phone. Unless you are in the habit of receiving text messages to your landline, you won't notice any difference.

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 18

@GillyFB looking at the order, they've opted you out of the BT text service. It just means that people won't be able to send text messages from mobile phones to your landline. Nothing to worry about

GillyFB
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 18

Thank you all.  So we are not used to having text messages via our landline.  So - bottom line - will we be ex-directory i.e. if someone put in our name they will not see any info i.e. landline number and our address?

Deleted info - just in case🙄

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Bottom line is no, you have not been made ex-directory, you will have to call again I'm afraid. They completely misunderstood your request.

You asked for reinforcements and they sent you three and fourpence to coin a phrase.

0 Ratings
GillyFB
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 18

OK - another day tomorrow - will not use online Chat this time - will try and get a real person.  Strange thing is at end of chat he/she asked if there was anything else they could help with i.e. complaints!!!????

Sweet dreams to you all. 

0 Ratings