cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Gold / Silver Line

I hope someone can help.  we have been told by an independent broadband provider that we have a silver line.  The ofcom checker indicates an FTTC connection of 30mbits however as the address is only silver we cant be offered an alternative connection.   

We are BT customers but our broadband speed is awful.  We had a BT engineer out at the start of April to see if there was a fault but nothing was detected, he advised it may get better after his visit, but it remains the same. 

Thank you. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 8

Re: Gold / Silver Line

Our home address is listed on RoyalMail postcode finder if this makes any difference to my question.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

@Marianne73wrote:
Our home address is listed on RoyalMail postcode finder if this makes any difference to my question.

Hi @Marianne73 ,

Is it an exact match to that shown on your bill ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I am a bit confused by your story.

"Gold" and "Silver" refer to addresses for served premises recorded by Openreach, not lines going into those premises.

Gold implies the address is known to be for premises which are or have been served by a working Openreach copper pair in the past and there is a known line length and route to the exchange.

Silver means the premises is recorded in PAF but there are no records of an Openreach line to the premises for that address and so no clear understanding of possible line length  or quality. With Silver addresses,  quoted speeds are estimates based on speeds achieved in nearby premises already served.

But you say you are a BT customer which implies you have  an Openreach line already (I am assuming you are a fixed line BT customer and not mobile only)?

If you have an Openreach line for a telephone service then it would be better for your prospective new supplier to use your phone number to check what is available and not use your address. That will provide a more accurate assessment of the broadband you can have on that specific line and whether there is FTTC equipment in your  serving network. Also ,if there is working FTTC already on the line, the quoted speed will be based on measurements made on that line and (given your experience) that may be less than the 30 Mbits/s suggested by the use of a silver address.

As to why you have a line from BT but have a silver address I am guessing that either the line is a recent addition and that the records have not caught up yet or you are in premises which have been converted to flats with new PAF addresses for each flat and your flat "inherited" a line in which case all the "new" addresses will be silver and the original address for the whole property with its line is gold.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

yes it is. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

We have been at this address for 6 years. We have reached a dead end following the BT engineers visit at the start of April. My husband has never been able to work from home as our broadband speed has been so poor, so the last 2 months have been extremely stressful with us both working from home and our children having online lessons. Our house is not a block of flats.

Friends and neighbours who have moved on to another company and who are getting a better broadband recommended we research moving and and the gold/silver reference was from the first company i contacted. Unfortunately the mast they have won't reach our house.

i have today received an email from someone in the Welsh government saying my children are eligible for  4G mobile wifi  so I am wondering what I am paying for?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Can you enter your phone number and post results remember delete number 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

This will show the estimated speed range you should expect

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Thank you for replying IMjolly.  I’m struggling to reduce  the size of the picture but I’ll keep trying so I share it. 

0 Ratings