cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Conectionless
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

HELP! New build provision incomplete 8 months

I can't seem to get a phone line installed at my new build property. Can anyone help
Tried August 2016 with talktalk. Plus net November 2026 now Bt 16th Feb 2017 explaining new build, no provision been made by previous suppliers.
Site survey was done.
Next thing Bt cancelled my order "as they can't complete on this type of order. I said I do not want to cancel but wanted to speak to manager.
Management not available will call back in 24hrs.
2 days later received email saying order cancelled.
Then email starting a new order with another phone number (5th one given) and all will be done 20th March.
Officially I'm connected and just paid my bill by direct debit. But no provision has been made.
A telegraph pole is required and 200meters of wire and conduit plus 2 junction boxes.
Was told by open reach survey man he would provide these and I could dig my own trench to make it easier to put it where I want.
So it's now 30th March and after 20 of phone calls texts and live chats for hours on end.
I am no closer to being connected and relying on patchy mobile service but it's still faster than the 512kb/s guaranteed speed I am promised.
Where do I go from here?
0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: HELP! New build provision incomplete 8 months

Welcome to this user forum.

Do you have a current order with BT Retail?

0 Ratings
Conectionless
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Yes they've taken my money and are aware there is a problem but they have lodged it as a fault as it's shown as an existing line as the order was done for me.
I have had 15 engineers sent to fit the main socket or fix a fault since I started. All have reported back that no line is at the property
0 Ratings
Conectionless
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 23

Oh and thanks for the welcome and quick reply 😊
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Conectionless
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 23

Thanks no one seams to understanding what's going on. Open to any suggestions.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 23

@Conectionless wrote:
Thanks no one seams to understanding what's going on. Open to any suggestions.

One of the moderators would be in a better position to answer this, as they can look into the detail.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 23

Hi @Conectionless,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you have had in getting service set up at your new address. I'll be able to take a look at what is happening with your order.

Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 23

I take it your 'new build' is a one off , like a barn conversion or similar, rather than a property built by a  big 'developer'

There  is a universal service obligation (USO) that means anyone who asks for service can have it , but not at any cost, there is a financial limit, after which you are expected to make up the shortfall, Openreach add up the true cost of provision, and subtract their contribution (used to be about £3000) and you have to pay the difference, so obviously if you do some work yourself ( like installing a underground cable for your property to the curtilege of your property) the costs are less, but sometimes even with a £3000 contribution, excess construction costs can still be in thousands of ££'s, have you been given a bespoke estimate for service ?, these days I understand you have to pay something upfront , £300 I think, as many get an estimate but then don't proceed, producing the bespoke estimate does cost OR money, so the deposit is a show of good faith and is subtracted from the  final cost

if your order was accepted in error by a provider ( because they thought your property could be served from existing line plant) then that's not OR's fault, so they can get that  incorrect order type cancelled and ask the provider (TT, Plusnet or whoever) to follow the correct process for addresses like yours, not all providers are good at doing this type of non standard ordering.

To proceed I would suspect you will have to ensure your order doesn't go through the standard ordering process, but your chosen provider needs to use the process for getting a planner / surveyor to produce a bespoke estimate, you should know they have raised the correct type of order if they ask for a (non returnable) deposit of £300 ish

Have you got a proper Royal Mail registered address ?, if you try using a nearby address ( or the address of the building your property has been built in the grounds of if that's your situation)  then the order will end up being cancelled..

although it may well be a 'new build' unless the builder of the property approached OR early on, with plans etc, then the new build term is probably not helpful , as it normally applys to developments of many houses , you may be better using the term non served premises, 

Conectionless
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Cheers for your thoughts. 👍
contacting each service provider I explained what was required as I knew this may be an issue.
Off com did not seem very helpful just saying I should make an official complaint. Which I did twice.
Tried talking to open reach but will only engage with you if you need 4 or more connections.
The cost of the works is less than the limit suggested even though a telegraph pole is £1500. I've had a royal mail address for the last 15yrs as my electric bill has to come to the property. the open reach survey man who organises the works. He's a nice bloke and can't believe he's been asked to survey my property 4 times. No theyve never asked for money up front but he's already done it!
Anyway thanks for the info it confirms to me that they don't know what they're doing.
At least because of this site bt called and have arranged an engineer to visit my property to repair my line again because it's shown as active. 😭
I will see what comes of it on Monday
0 Ratings