Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neil2305
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

HELP with retrieving old number

Go to solution

Can someone help?

IN BRIEF - I have been tryingt to retrieve back an 'old' (before 17th May) BT uber since 25th May and it is HOPELESS... getting for about 20 phonecalls - I ca trying to resolve this for my 81 year old brother-in-law who cannot sleep due to this.

The situation is this.. Several weeks ago 'Bill' opted to join VIRGIN from BT (who he had been with for 20-30 years) - he signed up for a tv, broadband and phone package - BT service was cancelled on 17th May.

Bill hadn't realised that none of his phone sockets in his house (one in each room just about) would work anymore - as VIRGIN provided ONE phone in an upstairs bedroom exit to his computer.

Bill decided on day of the cancellation to STAY with BT and keep his number. Phoned BT and BT said "TOO LATE" Phone back and order a new number and we will then retrieve your old number back.  On the same day - cancelled the transfer of the old number to VIRGIN.

18th May - new number with VIRGIN working and BT stopped

few days later ew umber working with BT - but since about 25th May =- - first told 48 hours to retrieve old number, then told 6th June to retrieve old number - and about 20 phone calls to BT and also to Virgin.

BT say that the Number is Virgins - Virgin say they have not received a porting request. 

I have to say that BT are proving to be totally useless and unhelpful. Bill is over 80 years old, hard of hearing and I have done teh phone calls for him. One day I added to the account and the next day they won't talk to me as they say I don't have perission...

HELP - someone please!

I have't adde the numbers here but if anyone wants to set a person message please do.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: HELP with retrieving old number

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

The number 'Bill' had for 20-30 years was it originally a BT number ?, when 'Bill' ordered VM service (before realising the extension sockets wouldn't work) did he ask for the existing number to be ported to VM ?, did that number work on the VM line , or was it any old VM number, has the VM service now been ceased/cancelled ?
Assuming the number in question is originally a 'BT' number , if the number was requested to be ported to VM from BT, then if the number is with VM, obviously VM need to relinquish it, by cancelling 'Bills' VM service , the number should then revert to the range holder (BT)
If BT have the number back, then it should be possible to renumber whatever number 'Bill' has on his BT line , to the (BT) number he had previously, but the status of the number is in doubt, is it still exported to VM,( assuming it ported, regardless of it ever appearing on the VM line) have VM relinquished it and it's returned to BT, it could be back with 'BT' but in 'quarantine', numbers like this tend to be held back so they don't get reallocated to other BT customers
What happens if this number is called ( preferably tried from a landline phone not a mobile) , what tone or announcement is returned.
The BT mods on here may be able to assist , and if the number is available, arrange a renumber, but it may take a while as the number may not yet be accessible

0 Ratings
Neil2305
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thaks for assistance - I don't know EXACTLY where we are at with this and will phone AGAIN on Sunday - Bill has had at least two phone calls (AGAIN) the last two days asking if he wishes to change his number and to confirm who he is - I don't know if these are real or scam.

The number 'Bill' had for 20-30 years was it originally a BT number ? YES

when 'Bill' ordered VM service (before realising the extension sockets wouldn't work) did he ask for the existing number to be ported to VM ? YES - ad this was cancelled according to VIRGIN on 17th May the day BT was due to end.

Did that number work on the VM line , The number has NEVER worked on VM (he was given a new VM number and that is working okay - it is part of his 'package'

or was it any old VM number, has the VM service now been ceased/cancelled ?

Assuming the number in question is originally a 'BT' number , if the number was requested to be ported to VM from BT, then if the number is with VM, obviously VM need to relinquish it, by cancelling 'Bills' VM service , the number should then revert to the range holder (BT) VM SAY THEY HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY PORTING REQUEST FROM BT

If BT have the number back, then it should be possible to renumber whatever number 'Bill' has on his BT line , to the (BT) number he had previously, but the status of the number is in doubt, is it still exported to VM,( assuming it ported, regardless of it ever appearing on the VM line) have VM relinquished it and it's returned to BT, it could be back with 'BT' but in 'quarantine', numbers like this tend to be held back so they don't get reallocated to other BT customers
What happens if this number is called ( preferably tried from a landline phone not a mobile) , what tone or announcement is returned. NUMBER NOT RECOGNISED

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

There are a couple of worrying statements from VM, they say they never received  a port request from BT, well , why would they ?,  the number was requested to be ported to VM (by VM) if VM processed what 'Bill' originally wanted.

VM cancelled the port ( at 'Bills' request ) but give him another VM number instead of cancelling VM phone service ?,  if they say they never had the number , then they ignored 'Bills' original request, if they never had it, then why would they need a port request from BT to return something they never had , and anyway, if the number port had gone through, and subsequently wanted back on BT, it's not 'ported' back, it's returned to the number range holder , it isn't ported to VM who port it back, the original port is in effect removed.

I think it's fair to say that the status of the number is unknown , IMHO it's probably back with BT , but under quarantine, (ported, then port cancelled)  this could explain why he got a new BT number on the BT line, so the 'old' number is not available for reallocation (yet),

If it genuinely was never ported to VM , which would mean he would never have got the number on VM even if the extension sockets were not a problem, then a simple renumber from his new BT number to his old BT number should be do- able within a few days, but I recon this is not as likely as being in 'quarantine'

This is the type of thing that the BT Mods on here may be successful at resolving, so when/if they offer you an invite to contact them , take it, but I doubt it will be quick, it may sound an easy thing to do, but it's not

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @Neil2305

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post!

Sorry for the problems you're having getting the same number back for your Brother-in-Law.  I appreciate the amount of your time you've spent trying to get this sorted out.

We'll be happy to pick this up for you from here.  Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link underneath my profile picture.

We deal with cases strictly in turn as we receive them so as soon as you reach the top of our email queue one of the guys will be in touch with you.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Neil2305
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

H

How long does this usually take? (to get to the top of the list to start being looked into) 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

you need to use the contact mod link and complete the forum  PM won't work for mods

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Neil2305
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks for that - problems with hay fever this morning... a job to see what I am typing...
0 Ratings