Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bexanddex
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Help ! Elderly Dad in isolated area without phoneline for six weeks

Go to solution

Hi,

My Dad's phone was disabled during a storm in July and reported to BT on July 14th. He is still without a line nearly seven weeks later. He is 81 years old and lives literally " on the moors " in North Yorkshire in an isolated spot. He has limited and sometimes no mobile phone coverage. He is also without his computer. Luckily the cottage next door ( the only other house for 2/3 mile ) to him has a working land line that he can use.

BT customer care people have been contacting him regularly on this line and are very polite and explain that Outreach engineers are working hard to try to connect him. However, he has now been given at least six different dates when the problem will be fixed- nothing is ever resolved . On my visit yesterday we had a message saying his phone would be re-connected on August 12th- this was on August 18th ! No-one has visited my Dad to explain the situation , no engineers have contacted him to explain the fault. ( He is a qualified engineer himself! )

We believe there is a problem in the area and I'm sure everyone is working hard to resolve it but communication with BT/ Outreach is frustrating to say the least and I feel my Dad is in a vulnerable situation living in an isolated rural place with no emergency phoneline available.

Has anyone any suggestions as to how to encourage the outreach engineers to prioritise my Dad ? He has just sent a recorded letter to BT customer services. Thank you in advance !

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Help ! Elderly Dad in isolated area without phoneline for six weeks

Go to solution

Only people that can help are mods who will post a contact us link tomorrow. 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
bexanddex
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks, imjolly. Will check forum tomorrow.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi bexanddex,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting!

I'm sorry that your Dad's service has developed a fault.  I can understand your concern and how vital it is for your Dad to have a working service.  It does sound like a major fault in the area as faults don't normally take that long to repair.

Get us over the details and we'll check this out from here.  Click on my username and under the "about me" section of my profile you'll see the link to get in touch with us.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
bexanddex
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi,

An update.

My Dad still has no phone line or working computer. 12 weeks without a phone.

The BT moderators have been in touch with me with was helpful but the " fix " date has just been moved on again to Sept 12th.

Our faith in BT is at a all time low : (

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hi bexanddex,

Thanks for posting back.

Sorry that the fix date has been moved forward.  I can see my colleague Adrian is dealing with this.  I'll let him know that it has been moved forward and he'll check what's causing the further delay.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
bexanddex
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Phoneline now fixed. Broadband was difficult to restore but Dad got a computer guy in who managed to get a slow system up and running.

Thanks Adrian from the BT Mod team for keeping us up to date with what was happening, it makes such a difference to have regular contact with someone UK based to talk to.

0 Ratings