cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Help Please - Caller ID stopped working - *234# reports "Service Unavailable"

Hi,

Firstly apologies for this being my 1st post which is an obvious 'me too' problem., However, I've been bouncing off the walls on and off for the last couple of weeks to try to get this re-activated.

Simply, put Caller ID has stopped working on my parents Landline. At the beginning of the year it used to show all the proper incoming number, now, at some point in the intervening months, their Siemens phone just shows "external call" (aka no caller ID). Being somewhat elderly, they do rely on this to screen calls. 

I have tried to reactivate it via *234#, resetting local phones and sockets, and by raising it several times with BT via online chat - of which I've never had any followup. 

They do not have ADSL broadband (They get it via a village wireless mesh network) - indeed they have the BT 'non-broadband' line rental option. Historically, however, they DID have ADSL on the Landline. (3+ years ago)

I'm now at the the point of asking the Guru Mods on this board who seem to be able to Horse Whisper  into the system and enable peoples Caller ID - whether I too could have some help/guidance/power from the Magical Staff of Ra to re-enable Caller ID back to their landline.

Many thanks

Steve

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Help Please - Caller ID stopped working - *234# reports "Service Unavailable"

@VisCCesp 

Welcome to this user forum.

Caller display would need to be added again to their landline account.

They can do this via MyBT.

There is no cost to do this.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/util/vendorRedirector.jsp?productId=CON-27455...

There will be an option there to add BT Privacy and caller display.

I assume you can still contact them via landline, just in case they have a crossed line. If you can get through, then their line must be correct.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Re: Help Please - Caller ID stopped working - *234# reports "Service Unavailable"

Hi ,

Thankyou so much for the quick reply. Jumping into that link, it unfortunately indicated that Caller ID was already enabled - but I've added a couple of privacy options anyway. 

As you can see, below, although Caller ID is listed in the left hand panel as a selected option, the top right 'Setup' option shows only TPS and Privacy settings will actually be changed (added).

So, as a thought, should I wait 48hrs, and then DISABLE Caller ID, then 48hrs later RE-Enable it using this interface? Or is that an exercise in futility?

Many thanks

VisCCesp_1-1605947659537.png

edit: ps. Yes, they can take and make calls without issue - no signs of crossed lines or other weirdness.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Yes, if you disable it, then wait 48 hours and enable it again, that normally fixes the problem, as the command is re-sent to the exchange.

What can happen is that the configuration that is stored in the exchange, can get reset to default, and needs to be refreshed.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Will do - I'll report my findings next week.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

Has the phone been proved to be OK by trying it at another location , or trying a different phone that is known to be functioning correctly at your parents ?
There was a post on here or a similar forum of someone having the same problem, strangely in their case, the suspect phone worked fine at another location , yet an older phone worked OK at the address having the problem.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

@iniltous 

@VisCCesp  is getting service not available, so its not enabled on the exchange. This can happen if the exchange data download is incorrect.

0 Ratings