Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikey2000
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Help removing landline extensions.

Hi,

I have a BT Infinity master box on the wall.  It has a socket for broad band (Home Hub Router) and another for our landline answerphone.  All good so far.

It also has two other phone lines coming out of the master socket through a little opening at the bottom.  These are for phone sockets in two other rooms.

I no longer need these additional two sockets and would like to remove the two cables that go from the main socket to the other rooms.

I have a feeling I shouldn't just yank them out of the master socket 🙂

Can I just simply cut the cables beneath the master socket? 

Here's a dropbox link to a pic of my socket.  I'd like to remove the two white wires appearing from the bottom of the socket:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ukmoib0szk81u96/Photo%2024-11-2017%2C%2011%2050%2007.jpg?dl=0

clickable pic link hopefully

Any advice much appreciated.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
mikey2000
Beginner
Message 2 of 14

Re: Help removing landline extensions.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

If you remove the bottom section, the extensions should be connected to the back, an can simply be pulled out of the IDC connector.

0 Ratings
mikey2000
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Thanks but my extension wires seem to disappear into the box (not attached at all to the removable lower plate)  (See second pic, uploaded just a second ago)

I haven't tried removing the top of the socket (with the infinity socket)

0 Ratings
mikey2000
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

@mikey2000 wrote:

Thanks but my extension wires seem to disappear into the box (not attached at all to the removable lower plate)  (See second pic, uploaded just a second ago)

I haven't tried removing the top of the socket (with the infinity socket)

Then they are not wired correctly, and would affect your connection speed. It looks like someone has teed them into the back, which they should not have done,

All you can do is to remove all of the faceplate, and disconnect any extension wires at the back, just leaving the incoming line terminated.

0 Ratings
mikey2000
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Hi,

I think I'm getting the idea.   Just to be absolutely sure, is this what you mean? (a pic speaks a thousand words!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0xwcm2ilzlhz80/Photoedit%2024-11-2017%2C%2012%2022%2002.jpg?dl=0

clickable link

Also, how do I go about 'leaving the incoming line terminated.'

I know Zero about telephone cabling...

🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

That would be correct.

You should be able to identify the cable that comes in from outside as it will just be a single cable, possibly a different colour, depending on whether your line come in underground, or from a pole.

It will only have two wires connected.

You should also be able to see you extension cable, as it will probably have more that two wires connected.

0 Ratings
mikey2000
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

I'm sure my line comes in from underground.  (No poles around here....)

I'll take the inner-back plate off later on for a look.  I daren't disconnect it all at the moment as we are in the middle of a massive online shopping session 🙂

Just to be clear again though 'leaving the incoming line terminated' simply means 'leave it alone, wired as I find it, do not disturb'

Thanks for the help so far

0 Ratings
mikey2000
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

If I get scared off, can I just cut through the two white extension cables then use electrical tape to seal off each individual strand (I expect each white sheath contains a pair of thin wires)

The box is behind some furniture so won't be visible anyway

0 Ratings