cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 14

Re: Help removing landline extensions.

You could do that, if you are sure they go to the extensions.

0 Ratings
mikey2000
Beginner
Message 12 of 14

I opened up the rear section of the main socket and the feed wire was easy to spot.  However there is so much other stuff squeezed in there that I got a bit worried about touching it.  

I forgot to mention I have a monitored burglar alarm.  There's an outside chance it is maybe patched into one of these extension cables (as the control panel is very near the master switch) and there seems to be too much wiring in there for a BT feed-in and two extension sockets, way too much.

This pic only shows what you can see easily - there is a bit more wiring stuffed inside the wall recess:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/28ayvr428mux9zw/Photo%2024-11-2017%2C%2014%2022%2039.jpg?dl=0

The alarm people are coming round on Monday.  I think I will leave this to them to tell me what needs to be done...

Thanks so far - I'll post an update.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 14

The alarm people should rewire the extension so that it runs from the back of the bottom removable section, as that is filtered.

They should know where to connect it.

As it is at the moment, there is a good chance that the alarm circuit and other extensions, are reducing your broadband speed, as they are not wired to the filtered side of the master socket.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 14

BT/Openreach have always allowed Alarm Companies to Star Wire into the AB Terminals on the NTE back plate.

It's to prevent the Alarm being disconnected in error and possibly leading to the fuzz kicking down someone's door because they think the place is being burgled!

Openreach have a Block Terminal designed specifically for lines that have both VDSL and Alarms connected although it's recommended you don't put VDSL or ADSL on an Alarm Line.
0 Ratings