cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joe5
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Hold the line after phone contract ends?

Go to solution

Hi everyone, please could you help me out.

I am moving out of a property and my phone and broadband contract (not with BT) ends on the 21st of June.

I’ve been informed by my property services whom I was renting from that I should contact BT and request they ‘hold the line’ so that the new tenants, whose tenancy starts on July 1st, avoid having to pay a reconnection fee. However I remember trying to do this last time and I think I was informed by BT that it wasn’t necessary.

Is it necessary to contact BT so that the next tenants avoid a reconnection charge and will the line really be disconnected after 9 days with no activity?

Hope you can help

Thanks

Joseph

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Hold the line after phone contract ends?

Go to solution

Its nothing to do with BT if your contract was with another provider, contact them for advice.

Highlighted
joe5
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

My property services implied that BT Openzone was responsible for disconnecting inactive lines and reconnecting those that have been disconnected as they are responsible for a lot of UK telecom infrastructure, is this not the case?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

BT Openzone is a wifi system, if you mean Openreach (not BT Openreach) then yes, they provide the infrastructure but have nothing to do with retail customers and certainly don't disconnect and connect lines at the request of a retail customer of any ISP. I have no idea what your property services people are talking about, but one thing is sure, it has nothing whatsoever to do with BT retail who's forum this is. I suggest you get your property services people to earn their money and deal with it themselves.

-Richie-
Expert
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

If you don't need the service at that address then either cancel it or move it to your new address, keeping it active means you are liable for the monthly costs, depending on your ISP, your contract ending could mean your discounts are ending, which means you're paying more to do someone else a favour.

Let the new tenants sort their own provider or ask the property services company to pay the monthly cost.

0 Ratings