cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JAG-N2
Message 1 of 9

Home Hub 5 - problems with cordless phones

I had BT Infinity (Home Hub 5) installed a couple of weeks ago. The speed and quality of the speed and phone line have improved but it doesn't  work properly with my (Panasonic) cordless phone. Although there isn't a problem with incoming calls outgoing calls have been affected isuch that I can only make local calls. I cannot make 0800 calls, national or international calls. When I use my corded handset,  it is fine. and I can make all calls as normal.  I  have  also tried my brother's cordless (Panasonic) phone to see if it a problem with my cordless handset. Although his handset works with BT Infinity at his house, it doesn't work at my house . So, I know it is not a problem with the handset, or the line but there seems as if the BT Home Hub 5 set up at my house is somehow intefering with the cordless phone.

Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Home Hub 5 - problems with cordless phones

Its possible that your Infinity is wired up incorrectly? Did you install it yourself, or did you have a visit from an installer?

Is your phone plugged into the bottom socket of the NTE?

newnte.jpg

See

Has your Infinity Installation been wired correctly?

Also, does your phone work properly if you turn off the home hub?

0 Ratings
JAG-N2
Message 3 of 9

The system was installed by a BT engineer and corresponds with your photo.

The problems with the cordless phone persist when the hub is turned off.

We think the problem may be with cordless phones not being able to transmit "0" which would explain why I can make local calls but not numbers which start with "0".

So maybe problem with exchange or socket?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

You will need to prove the fault with s known working corded phone.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

@Devon_Dave wrote:
You will need to prove the fault with s known working corded phone.

"I  have  also tried my brother's cordless (Panasonic) phone to see if it a problem with my cordless handset. Although his handset works with BT Infinity at his house, it doesn't work at my house ."

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

The fact that it works with a corded phone, seems to indicate a problem with the Panasonic phones. Perhaps the level of tones they are transmitting is too low for your length of line, as you may be further from the exchange.

Its not likely to be an exchange fault, if it works with a normal phone, and if you request a visit, then you will be charged £130, as the fault is with your own phone.

Have you tried the phone in the test socket, which is behind the faceplate? Do you have any extensions with anything plugged in, which may be reducing the volume of the tones?

JAG-N2
Message 7 of 9

Many thanks for your suggestions. My panasonic phone worked okay before new open reach socket installed but I'll try and get hold of a non Panasonic phone to rule out . 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

The filters in the Openreach socket will reduce the volume, but only very slightly, which is why I suggested that you remove the faceplate, and try the test socket, as that will prove whether that is the case.

If it is causing the problem, then plug an ordinary microfilter into the test socket, and try the phone plugged into that, as it may not reduce the volume as much.

You can in fact use an ordinary microfilter, and plug the phone and home hub 5 into it, as that is what will be used for the self install option.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9
Moved:

0 Ratings