cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smm75
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Home Move problems

My experience of home move is shocking.  I swear someone is winding me up.  Everything you could imagine going wrong has gone wrong.

I had phone and Infinity 2 at my old address and moved home on 18th October into a house without a phone line, but in the same village.  Around 10 October, I asked for the same package and transfer of my old number.  Online, it confirmed it was available but with a slightly better speed.  Good news.  The downside was that there would be a charge of £130 for installing the new line and it couldn't be done until 1 November.  Bad news...  This was the slowest of all providers.  I've had plumbers, Sky, electricians, builders, everyone around the house, but BT was the slowest.  I cannot do morning appointments, so I made sure the afternoon was stated.

Leading up to the appointments (one for the phone, one for Infinity), I got no less than 4 emails confirming the visit.  1 November (Friday) came and went without any BT engineers visiting.  No phone call, nothing.  I called at 6pm, but they couldn't get hold of the engineers that were supposed to come.

On Monday, I called again and was told that the engineers couldn't find the house because the address was wrong (one of them had 'Corn House' and my house name is 'Corner House').  They blamed BT retail and BT retail blamed Openreach.  I don't care.  We share the postcode with about 7-8 other houses with all different names but he still couldn't find it.  Apparently, he called the contact number and the person he spoke to had no idea what it was about.  When I asked what number he called, it turned out to be the one he was meant to be installing...

So anyway, I had to rebook the appointment.  Unfortunately, to rebook the appointment, the old one had to be cancelled even though it was missed and in the past.  Customer Services couldn't cancel it, so they asked for a new appointment.  Guess what?  It's going to take another three weeks and confirmed for 'Corn House' again.  So I complained and someone is going to sort it out.  Then I get a call saying that the appointment is Wednesday 13th November in the morning.  I cannot do mornings, so they confirmed and then called me back with it changed to the afternoon.  Then on Monday 11th November, a guy leaves me a voicemail from Openreach saying he would like to know if we need a new line or not!  He had my new contact details, but had the wrong surname.  I checked online for my number on the Phone Book and it's got the wrong address...

So I called Customer Services again today only to be told that everything is ok for the phone line installation tomorrow.  "What about the broadband?".  "That's confirmed for 27th November in the morning".  I give up.  Seriously, you couldn't make it up.  Literally everything has gone wrong and I still have to pay £130 for this fiasco.

Reading it back, it looks amusing.  It's not.  I've never come across such shoddy internal communications and procedures in my life.  I think it might have been easier to close my account and then register as a new customer.  I'm seriously considering cancelling the whole thing and using my mobile phone for the phone.  Its 4G is quicker than Infinity anyway (but limited).

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Home Move problems

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.

They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are a UK based team of people, who take personal ownership of your problem.

Once you get a reply, if you click on their name, you will see a screen like this. Click on the link as shown below.
Please do not send them a personal message, as they may not be on duty for a long time, and your message will not be tracked properly.

For your own security, do not post any personal details, on this forum. That includes any tracking number you are give.

They will respond either by phone or e-mail within 5-6 working days.
Please use the tracked e-mail, to reply, not via the forum. Thanks

modpicture.jpg

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 3 of 5

Hi smm75,

If you fill out the contact us link located in the about me section of my profile we can take a look at this for you.
Cheers,
Chris
BT mod Team.
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
smm75
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

I have done that.  No response yesterday.

An engineer called yesterday - more on that later.

I called in again to check if my old number can be moved over to replace my new number.  It's booked apparently, but I don't trust that, so I'm calling in again today.  I also asked if the Infinity appointment could be moved to an earlier afternoon slot than 27th November now that my phone is connected.  That could not be booked either because 'the system could not see that the work has been done', but the appointment was confirmed for 27th November in the afternoon...

The engineer called yesterday to install the new line.  I understand he is only responsible for creating a master socket.  We spoke on the mobile and he explained that he had to go into the loft to connect the line.  In my new house there are three BT sockets on the walls and from what I could tell, three wiring looms in the loft, but not connected.  Anyway, my wife told me when he had gone that he tested all three sockets and all were working  Great news.  I got home and only two are working.  Bad news.  Now I need a professional to help find out what's going on.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

The forum mods normally reply within 3/5 working days after you have contacted them

They will contact you personally by email or phone
0 Ratings