cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GDB2222
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

How can customer service be this bad?

How can customer service be this bad? It's an art, surely?

I asked for my issue (ongoing for nearly a month!)  to be escalated to a manager. 

1. Manager supposed to ring between 3 and 5 on Monday (I had a text message to say that). I was in then. Phone did not ring. Manager notes on his records that he's phoned at 3.20, which is simply a lie.

2. I received a text message this morning that the manager will ring between 2 and 4 this afternoon. I contacted BT to say that I would be out between 2 and 4. Could the manager ring in the morning instead, please, but certainly not between 2 and 4? (That simple transaction took 40 minutes to accomplish!)

3. Manager dulies rings at 2.20, when I am out, AND LEAVES AN ABUSIVE MESSAGE BLAMING ME FOR NOT TAKING HIS CALL!

4. In the meantime, my phone problem has gone on for another 3 days without anybody doing anything about it. 

Why does BT have all these staff thousands of miles away who can do nothing except antagonise the customers? Better, surely, not to bother?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
duncan10
Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: How can customer service be this bad?

Has anybody from BT told you what type of fault it is ?  UG[underground]-- OH [overhead] You need to know so that you can judge how long it will take to fix. Customers shouldnt be kept in the dark. Is it the storms during which it went faulty or is an underground cable broken somewhere? you should be told.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
GDB2222
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

We needed an engineer to fix a fault inside the house. In the end, I got so fed up with the whole process that I got my screwdriver and multimeter out and traced the fault myself this evening. So, I've cancelled the engineer and that's £129 of income BT have lost. 

That just leaves the customer service to take care of.  How can they abuse me for not being in when I've told them in advance that I won't be in? 

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 4 of 15

If you told them the fault was in the house then this should have been a straight forward house call. You arent trying to make out its back from the master socket or I shouldnt pay for it etc. Your a genuine customer . Your right its BTs loss. Handy thing a MM.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

From your other post the fault http://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/I-wish-BT-would-simply-be-rude-to-me/m-p/1079238 you say it was reported as a Cable Theft
0 Ratings
Icarus
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 15

I assume the fault was with your internal wiring, if so the engineer wouldn't have fixed it. He would have simply disconnected it and then charged you for the visit.

Also if you knew the fault was internal and had the knowledge to fix it why go through the hassle of getting an engineer out in the first place?
0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 7 of 15

Icarus -Has things changed from my day. A customer asked for his internal wiring to be fixed said he would pay for it and yet you say the engineer wouldnt fix it ? Doesnt make sense if he asked for it to be fixed. Are you saying no engineer can fix any internal wiring ? So the customer has to go elsewhere to get it fixed ? Will openreach/BT not now do internal repairs?

0 Ratings
Icarus
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 15

By the time I left, very recently, Openreach would not repair an end users internal wiring, with the exception of it being under warranty, I.e. if we installed it within the past 12 months but in all the years I did the job I could literally count on 2 hands how many extension sockets I was sent to install.

Now if an end users internal wiring goes faulty all the engineer will simply do is disconnect the faulty wiring to restore service to the NTE then charge the CP for the visit.
0 Ratings
GDB2222
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Indeed, we and about 1000 other households had cable theft, too. This was a separate issue.

And, from what Icarus posted, it sounds like BT wouldn't have fixed it anyway, despite charging for a call-out.
0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 10 of 15

Thanks for that info Icarus. Your never too old to learn. Things have certainly changed. It looks like either openreach dont want to do this work or customers repair all their own internal wiring-I take it excluding the line into the house up to and including the master socket? Maybe my old steel cable tacker can be of financial use in the future along with my old original Krone tool? I have just noticed local electricians are now advertising  telephone xtns fitted.

0 Ratings