cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
pompey1898
Expert
Message 1 of 54

How can my Brodband work when I have no dial tone on my phone ?

Hi,

I needed to use my phone in a minor emergency this morning only to find I had no dial tone, just a feint hiss with the odd slight crackle.  I have no idea how long it had been down for as I was at the hospital all day yesterday, so it could have been a day or more.

The strange this is my broadband works.  How can this happen ?

Reported the fault to BT and they said they will try to fix it by 6pm on 24-5,  not very useful for keeping in contact with the hospital.  The chap I spoke said there was a local network fault but I got the warning that I might be charged £129.99.  Was this BS ?

0 Ratings
53 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 54

Re: How can my Brodband work when I have no dial tone on my phone ?

your phone needs both wires connected to work but broadband will work with just one but usually a lot slower which is the giveaway there is a problem when using the internet.  if you have checked that there is no dial tone at the test socket then problem must be outside your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
pompey1898
Expert
Message 3 of 54

@imjollywrote:

your phone needs both wires connected to work but broadband will work with just one but usually a lot slower which is the giveaway there is a problem when using the internet.  if you have checked that there is no dial tone at the test socket then problem must be outside your home

Hi @imjolly,

Many thanks for your reply.  I checked my Download Speed and it has only dropped slightly, in fact it had gone up slightly when it resynced after I checked the phone in the test socket.  The noise was exactly the same.

This is BT's response :-

It looks like the problem is in or near to your home, and we'll need to contact you before sending an engineer. We will be in touch with you on the details you have provided us with.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 54

I assume from what you say that phone did not get a dial tone in the test socket suggesting the problem is outside your property and openreach responsibility to fix - could be anywhere on openreach line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 54

Hi @pompey1898,

I'm sorry your telephone service isn't working. I would agree with @imjolly, if the telephone isn't working while connected to the test socket this would indicate that the fault is external to the property.

Please let us know how things go with the repair. If the service ins't repaired on the 24th, post back and I'd be more than happy to take a look at this for you.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 54

Hi @pompey1898,

I'm sorry your telephone service isn't working. I would agree with @imjolly, if the telephone isn't working while connected to the test socket this would indicate that the fault is external to the property.

Please let us know how things go with the repair. If the service ins't repaired on the 24th, post back and I'd be more than happy to take a look at this for you.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 7 of 54

Hi @imjolly & @PaddyB,

Got home after 4 hours at A&E to find an engineer trying to find a JB23 somewere around our close.  A box I have never seen. 

He came in and changed some wiring that feeds through to master socket.  Net result was the phone still did not work but neither did the BB.  He said he would come back tomorrow with a colleague who claims to know where the invisible JB23 is.

I requested he recheck the wiring change as that may be the cause of the failed BB, but no joy.  I bumped into him about half an out later a mile away and he said he had found one tone but no second.  BB was working, as you can see, when I got back home a short while ago.

Watch this space for the phone fix - HOPEFULLY.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 8 of 54

Hi @imjolly & @PaddyB,

Phone & BB restored about 09:30 this morning.

However speeds used to be Download >40Mbps & Upload ~7Mbps Noise margin normally fluctuated around 6.1/3.4.  Line attenuation has been 24.6 for quite a long time.

Now as follows :-

Data rate: 4.04 Mbps / 9.37 Mbps

Maximum data rate:  4109 / 32826

Noise margin:  7.4 dB / 26.5 dB

Line attenuation:  25.2 dB

In your opinions is this a fault or will things return to normal within the 3 days BT say it might take ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 54

Doesn't look as though the fault has been fixed.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 10 of 54

Hi @licquorice

The fault was no dial tone and that is fixed.

If you think there is now a BB fault how long should I leave it before reporting it ?

0 Ratings