cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 4

How can one raise a telephony fault online on behalf of someone else?

Go to solution

The subject field says it all really. An elderly and perhaps slightly impaired neighbour of my equally elderly but unimpaired father has an intermittent suspected noisy line. I phoned it in this morning from his home but unsurprisingly, given the good result of a quite line test I performed prior, the automated test returned no fault. There is no broadband service on the line, only PSTN.

At the end of the test the automated voice quoted a number for use if one still needed to speak to an operator, but when I rang it there was no answer after 15 minutes so I hung up and said I'd raise a fault online.

When I attempted to do this however I had to log in and couldn't raise a fault for a phone line other than my own.

IIRC this didn't used to be the case and it makes things awkward because the person I'm trying to help wouldn't know one end of a computer from the other.

Can anyone advise what I can do other than wait as long as it takes for the phone to be answered by BT? Perhaps the call centre is busy because of the flooding but I do hope that the delay I experienced isn't usual.

One other thing: the phone attached to the line is ancient. I don't know the model number but it is not a cordless, and has push buttons. Is it likely that such an old instrument could intermittently apply noise to the line?

In my experience BT is poor at dealing with intermittent faults but I have to admit that they will be hard to diagnose. I haven't actually heard the noise but I'm fairly sure that it will be the result of a dry joint somewhere, or perhaps caused by the flooding of a duct or some such. Obviously I wouldn't want an engineer to attend and charge £85 if no fault is found, so for now I have advised the person to record the date and time of any recurrences.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: How can one raise a telephony fault online on behalf of someone else?

Go to solution

There is a requirement that when reporting a fault that the ‘end user’ has performed rudimentary checks and established the problem isn’t on what the customer is responsible for ( customers equipment, any extension wiring, extension sockets etc),  a ‘warning’ is given that if the problem turns out to be on any of this then charges may well follow, and has to be agreed, before an engineer is assigned, so the end user has to accept the potential for charges, obviously if the checks have been done then charges wouldn’t be necessary.

If a third party raises a fault , even if the checks have been done, the provider is taking a risk, because if a Openreach engineer said that the fault wasn't actually  on the OR side of the master socket and a charge raised, then that charge, when passed on to the end user by the provider,  could be challenged by the bill payer saying ‘I never accepted the potential for charges, because I never  raised the fault, someone else did’, and obviously there is no way to bill the third party who raised the inappropriate call out, so unless the bill payer accepts ( and by definition that means they report the fault ) , then an engineer visit won’t be arranged, as it could leave the provider footing the OR bill.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

If possible, have the person whose fault you want to report with you and call 0800.800.150. 

When you eventually get through to a human explain that you are calling on behalf of a person and that you are acting on their behalf and he/she will give BT permission to allow you to act for him/her. 

The operator will no doubt then want to speak to the person to confirm this and once that has been done you will be able to explain the problem and have the fault reported.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks, but I did first call 0800 800 150. The automated diagnostics and voice then ran their course, but rather than then offering one the option of speaking to an agent the automated voice told me to ring another number. I can't remember what it was but it was something like 0800 800 190. It was that call that went unanswered after 15 minutes or so.

Anyway, I'll just have to try again and it's probably best if I don't do so on a Friday morning.

0 Ratings