cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

How many people took their home phone number when moving house locally

Hi all
Moving from virgin media as they do not supply the new house I'm moving too. They have said I can take my number. I've had it 10 years plus. BT, Sky etc all said it can't be done. Trying to get it with BT. Same area code, same telephone exchange, houses only half mile apart... no one can tell me why I can't keep my number ....

Anyone managed to do this?
Any advice?
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: How many people took their home phone number when moving house locally

Virgin have their own telephone exchange, so suspect not possible to port the number across.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Virgin have said I'm free to take the number and bt just need to do whatever the normal process is to request is...
didn't know they had their own exchange but they've said it's no problem for anyone to take the number
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Ok... so from looking at this forum it seems that it is possible. My number was issued to be originally by bt/openreach and not virgin and from the same exchange I'm trying to get back too.
Does anyone know if virgin line needs to be live for them to take it? Or closed? We are due to be disconnected on move day - 11 may and be engineer due round between 1-6 on the same day in the new house.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

@Samanthahawksleywrote:
Ok... so from looking at this forum it seems that it is possible. My number was issued to be originally by bt/openreach and not virgin and from the same exchange I'm trying to get back too.
Does anyone know if virgin line needs to be live for them to take it? Or closed? We are due to be disconnected on move day - 11 may and be engineer due round between 1-6 on the same day in the new house.

The issue you have is that initially the number was ported to Virgin (assuming I've got that right), but you are now moving house and taking a ported number. This sounds like it's confusing the people looking at the transfer.

However, what needs doing is a removal of the initial porting data in the BT exchange, and deleting the gaining ported data in the Virgin exchange. Naturally, a physical move is required in the (BT) exchange to make sure the new property is fitted with a line.

A line will almost certainly have been provided at the new property, so it might only be a a software solution - but will need cooperation between BT and Virgin.

In essence it's a removal of the number port, then move the number with a house move within the same exchange areas.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Thank you for the reply. Most helpful
May I ask if you know what team at BT I should communicate this too?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Sorry, meant to add... the new house already has an active BT phone line which the current owners have given BT notice to disconnect when they move out. BT have their permission for us to take over existing line
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

@Samanthahawksleywrote:
Thank you for the reply. Most helpful
May I ask if you know what team at BT I should communicate this too?

I would say it's the "home move" team, but will need cooperation from Virgin.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Hi @Samanthahawksley

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post!

Sorry for the problems you're having getting the number ported across.  Whilst I can't guarantee that you can port the number over there is no harm in us checking if we can get it done for you from here.  Fingers crossed but as I say, I can't promise anything at this moment in time.

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings