Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gspearson
Expert
Message 1 of 21

How to set up a divert to mobile

Go to solution

I now have no landline dialtone, have reported this and an engineer is coming on Saturday.  I still  have normal 63Mb broadband.  I asked if calls could be diverted to my mobile as otherwise people would be puzzled. If you dial in it goes straight to 1571 to take a message (no ringing first).  Diverts are a different department and when I was transferred to them there was no answer.  Almost no one knows my mobile number and I make no more than 3 or4 calls on it per year (it is for emails and bus trackers).

So how do I set up a divert?  Is there a secret number to call or a hidden page?

I was invited to have a video call with a team so they could examine my set-up to see what was wrong.  As I had already connected the phone to the test socket to no avail, I refused.  The OpenReach van was at our cabinets this morning, there was probably a mistake made there.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: How to set up a divert to mobile

Go to solution

That is something that used to be offered when you reported a fault online. If you can look at the fault progress on MyBT, see if there is an option to setup a free divert.

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

@Keith_BeddoeI know, I have used it before, - I don't see anything in the fault log.  It was hard enough to get someone to deal with the fault.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to see if they have any suggestions?

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution
thanks
0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

After 2 hours of silence it is back on. BT on 151 say it did it itself.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

@gspearson wrote:

After 2 hours of silence it is back on. BT on 151 say it did it itself.  

That sounds more like an exchange fault, where a remote concentrator has lost power. That would have affected a number of people, and would have come back online itself once the power was restored. Lots of questions asked if this happens :smileysad:

That would explain the divert to 1571 and not just ringing out instead, which would be the case with a line fault.

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

@Keith_BeddoeI did ask my whole street (we have an email group) and they reported nothing.  Fault reporting is very clunky.

Thanks, as always,  for helping.

Geoff

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

They would most likely be on a different concentrator to you, as its quite random, and depends on your phone number, as each concentrator has its own range of consecutive numbers.

So unless a neighbour has a number within the same range as you, they would not be affected.

The main thing is that you are working again.

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

Today, dial tone stopped again.  I called 151 from my mobile and was taken through the script again.  That took 20 minutes during which I kept checking the dial tone - off.  A booking was made for an engineer on Wednesday, with the usual warning of an £85 charge.    I  asked for a divert to my mobile - which was accepted but has not been done.

Booking made, I ended the call; 2 minutes later dial tone was back, then off, then back. I had two 1571 messages, one at 11.14 where someone  was there but said nothing for the full time allowed for a message. The second was my sister, while I was registering the fault. I had noticed the fault around 2pm, so it looks as if it had been off for at least 3 hours.

I know intermittent faults are the worst to diagnose. Now it is back, what do I do?  Cancel the engineer again?  Let him come to investigate no fault - risking £85?  

Geoff

0 Ratings