Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gspearson
Expert
Message 1 of 21

How to set up a divert to mobile

Go to solution

I now have no landline dialtone, have reported this and an engineer is coming on Saturday.  I still  have normal 63Mb broadband.  I asked if calls could be diverted to my mobile as otherwise people would be puzzled. If you dial in it goes straight to 1571 to take a message (no ringing first).  Diverts are a different department and when I was transferred to them there was no answer.  Almost no one knows my mobile number and I make no more than 3 or4 calls on it per year (it is for emails and bus trackers).

So how do I set up a divert?  Is there a secret number to call or a hidden page?

I was invited to have a video call with a team so they could examine my set-up to see what was wrong.  As I had already connected the phone to the test socket to no avail, I refused.  The OpenReach van was at our cabinets this morning, there was probably a mistake made there.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: How to set up a divert to mobile

Go to solution

That is something that used to be offered when you reported a fault online. If you can look at the fault progress on MyBT, see if there is an option to setup a free divert.

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

@Keith_BeddoeI know, I have used it before, - I don't see anything in the fault log.  It was hard enough to get someone to deal with the fault.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to see if they have any suggestions?

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution
thanks
0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

After 2 hours of silence it is back on. BT on 151 say it did it itself.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

@gspearson wrote:

After 2 hours of silence it is back on. BT on 151 say it did it itself.  

That sounds more like an exchange fault, where a remote concentrator has lost power. That would have affected a number of people, and would have come back online itself once the power was restored. Lots of questions asked if this happens Smiley Sad

That would explain the divert to 1571 and not just ringing out instead, which would be the case with a line fault.

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

@Keith_BeddoeI did ask my whole street (we have an email group) and they reported nothing.  Fault reporting is very clunky.

Thanks, as always,  for helping.

Geoff

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

They would most likely be on a different concentrator to you, as its quite random, and depends on your phone number, as each concentrator has its own range of consecutive numbers.

So unless a neighbour has a number within the same range as you, they would not be affected.

The main thing is that you are working again.

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

Today, dial tone stopped again.  I called 151 from my mobile and was taken through the script again.  That took 20 minutes during which I kept checking the dial tone - off.  A booking was made for an engineer on Wednesday, with the usual warning of an £85 charge.    I  asked for a divert to my mobile - which was accepted but has not been done.

Booking made, I ended the call; 2 minutes later dial tone was back, then off, then back. I had two 1571 messages, one at 11.14 where someone  was there but said nothing for the full time allowed for a message. The second was my sister, while I was registering the fault. I had noticed the fault around 2pm, so it looks as if it had been off for at least 3 hours.

I know intermittent faults are the worst to diagnose. Now it is back, what do I do?  Cancel the engineer again?  Let him come to investigate no fault - risking £85?  

Geoff

0 Ratings