cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
feline34
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

I Have no NTE5 master socket, only an old style BT 80A junction box and LJU2/1A. What do I do?

Hi,

Moved into a 1969 bungalow recently, the BT drop wire goes into a bt 80a junction box in the hall. The wire comes out of this and goes to a old LJU2/1A in another room which i suppose is the master box as it has the yellow resistors in it etc. At the moment I cannot  put any extensions in as I cannot connect anywhere. So my question is will BT charge me for a NTE5 master box to be fitted.

Thanks

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: I Have no NTE5 master socket, only an old style BT 80A junction box and LJU2/1A. What do I do?

Its Openreach that do that work, and there is a charge of about £130. You have to request this via BT.

I think its classed as an internal move.

This page will help.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

Its a home improvement charge.

Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 17

Re: I Have no NTE5 master socket, only an old style BT 80A junction box and LJU2/1A. What do I do?

The old-fashioned way to do extensions is by using a plug-in adaptor which has roll of extension wire connected to it.  The adaptor just plugs into the master socket.  The wire can then be trailed around the house, and terminated with an extension socket.

It's not particularly pretty, but it works.

lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 17

Just like an NTE5a faceplate the LJU1 has Krone Connectors, why can't you just connect your extension wiring to those?

Also if you do buy an NTE to fit yourself make sure it's a BT/Openreach branded one because if you ever had an Openreach Engineer out they would replace the NTE you bought, regardless of whatever fault your reported was and charge your provider..... Who probably would pass the charge on......
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 17

To elaborate on what lines_man has said, if you carefully unscrew and pull out the faceplate (being careful not to pull off the incoming phone wires), you should find the terminals for connecting an extension on the back of the faceplate.  It's how extensions were wired in before NTE5 sockets were invented.

feline34
Beginner
Message 6 of 17

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I thought I could not touch this LJU2 master socket as it belongs to Bt, seems unfair that I should be charged for them to bring it up to spec.

I would like to have a few other sockets around the house, but would have liked a new NTE5 but at £130 odd quid seems a bit much.

Their wiring is a bit of a mess and it must be 30 years old in places.

I was wondering if I had looked at the the state of the phone wiring in the house before I signed a new contract with Bt and said I will sign with you if you upgrade the box what their response would have been?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 17

feline34 wrote:

I was wondering if I had looked at the the state of the phone wiring in the house before I signed a new contract with Bt and said I will sign with you if you upgrade the box what their response would have been?

Probably not very helpful given that you'd be in the same boat with an alternative provider, cable excepted. Openreach are the sole providers of phone lines and treat all retailers the same, including BT.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 17

BT probably would have said no, as you've got that old LJU then they obviously did a working line takeover and didn't need to send an Engineer to your house, hence saving money on a Customer Installation Charge from Openreach....

No doubt if you had insisted on one then they would have passed the charge on, same would be said about all the phone companies because their all as greedy as each other, especially in the last quarter of a financial year.......
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 17

you are correct in your suggestion. you cannot legally connect your own wiring onto the krone connections at the rear of an Lju 1a or 2a. you can only plug additional extensions into the socket.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 17

@Devon_Dave wrote:
you are correct in your suggestion. you cannot legally connect your own wiring onto the krone connections at the rear of an Lju 1a or 2a. you can only plug additional extensions into the socket.

Which law does it break? 

Also where does it say you can't connect your own wiring to the connectors on the back??

0 Ratings