cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 17

Re: I Have no NTE5 master socket, only an old style BT 80A junction box and LJU2/1A. What do I do?

You can connect your own internal wiring to the LJU2..... You'd be liable for a charge if you broke it but Krone is tough, it's just about every Openreaches Tech fav connection....
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 17

Re: I Have no NTE5 master socket, only an old style BT 80A junction box and LJU2/1A. What do I do?

Hi Please see quote taken from BT's Code of Practice (Page 6)

http://www.btplc.com/thegroup/regulatoryandpublicaffairs/codeofpractice/consumercodeofpractice/btres...

Extra sockets We can install extra sockets if you want, but we’ll charge you for the work. You can add your own approved extension wiring and sockets by making connections inside the line box. You mustn’t try to do this if you have an old-style BT socket instead of a line box. If you’d like your old socket updated to a line box, please ask us. We’ll charge for this work.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
feline34
Beginner
Message 13 of 17

Hi all,

Ok, 

so I have just found this link to the bt price list 

http://www.bt.com/pricing/current/Exch_Lines_boo/0002_d0e63.htm#0002-d0e63  and it states here the price for

Conversion of hard-wired master socket to Linebox and Regularisation of illicit master socket: £30. Is the any BT guys on here who can clarify this. This price list says operative @ 26th july 2014. This is a fair price I think for this work and I suppose lots of customers would have it done.

I could then just connect all my furture boxes to this.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 17

hi. not read the document however there maybe a visit charge on top of the conversion charge.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
feline34
Beginner
Message 15 of 17

Ref link, BT price list:

Quote "Conversion of hard-wired master socket to Linebox and Regularisation of illicit master socket": £30

I have called them up and they said that hard wired refers to the old oval shape box? and it would be £130 plus the box charge if i want a NTE5. I said it does not make it very clear in their price list about the difference of what it refers to as hard wired, my LJU2 is hard wired to me as I have not got a test socket.

Anyway just thinking can I connect/plug in a wire from the front face of my old master LJU2  and then hard wire that if poss to the AB connections to a new NTE5 this would then be all legal with no worries?

If I can do this is there a lead I can buy already made up with a plug at one end.

Thanks

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 17

The item you found on the BT price list is current, and should be what you get charged if someone from BT , or Openreach working on their behalf, swapped your line jack unit for a NTE5 master socket, but as you have found , not easy to get ordered and there is a contradiction in the published price of about £30 and the possibility that they will actually charge circa £130,
as I see it , the £30 is a BT Retail price, but the work would be done by Openreach, and if they charge more, do BT pass that higher charge on ?, would you take the chance ?, most external engineers work for Openreach, and although BT Retail probably do have their some external engineering staff, I doubt if they work on residential things,
You can get OR branded NTE5 master sockets on Ebay and the like, the line from outside is terminated on the body of the socket on the A and B terminals ( works either way round, but the old socket may well be labelled as A & B anyway ) but you shouldn't change it your self (wink, wink) and if you mess it up (unlikely) and call OR out to fix it you may get charged for the repair, which is about the same as the higher price quoted to you over the phone
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 17

Pre-wired extension kits are readily available from the DIY sheds.  Generally, the plug is pre-fitted, and you cut the wire to suit for the extension.

If you go that way, you shouldn't need an NTE5 at all.  In particular, you'd end up with two master sockets on the same line, in series.

0 Ratings