cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianalex06
Beginner
Message 1 of 55

I have BT Call Protect, and have 'blocked' International calls, yet they are still getting through.

Go to solution

I thought that most scam calls originated in foreign countries, where the Telephone Preference Service could not take any action. However, my Caller Display still shows these International numbers, so it seems that International calls that were supposed to be blocked by Call Protect still get through. Why is this?

0 Ratings
54 REPLIES 54
pompey1898
Expert
Message 2 of 55

Re: I have BT Call Protect, and have 'blocked' International calls, yet they are still getting throu

Go to solution

Are you sure they are international callers or spoofed number ?

If you are not sure, post the numbers on here and one of the gurus will probaly tell you.

0 Ratings
ianalex06
Beginner
Message 3 of 55

Re: I have BT Call Protect, and have 'blocked' International calls, yet they are still getting throu

Go to solution

The two calls received today were 0014854196794 (at 11:12) and 0014854111361 (at 12:15) on my landline. These are numbers from the USA, according to their code.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 55

Go to solution

@ianalex06wrote:

The two calls received today were 0014854196794 (at 11:12) and 0014854111361 (at 12:15) on my landline. These are numbers from the USA, according to their code.

Hi.

The calls are spoofed using VoIP systems. They might look like International numbers, but they're not.

The system that blocks International Numbers relies on the international call type in the call message. That isn't there because the call has not passed through the international gateways.

pompey1898
Expert
Message 5 of 55

Go to solution

Thanks for confirming that @Andy_N.  Just as I suspected.

0 Ratings
ianalex06
Beginner
Message 6 of 55

Go to solution

So I gather what you are saying is that having BT Call Protect does not really protect me from these spam calls. What's more, I have in effect stopped an International call from a relative abroad, who would not be using the same technical ability that the spammers have!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 55

Go to solution

@ianalex06wrote:

So I gather what you are saying is that having BT Call Protect does not really protect me from these spam calls.

That is correct. It also won't stop calls from these scammers when they use UK type numbers, as they change the "called from" number very regularly. The scammers know users can have block lists - hence what happens is that the 100 Call Protect user limit just fills up with junk. This is the same as a block list for email spammers, effectively of no use in general. (However it does work for some users).

BT don't say this in their product information.

What's more, I have in effect stopped an International call from a relative abroad, who would not be using the same technical ability that the spammers have!

If you regularly receive proper calls from a non UK relative, then blocking international calls will be counterproductive. In the general case, from what I've seen, scam calls from actual international callers is extremely small.

If at all possible, using Skype, WhatsApp or other similar internet based system might be a better option than telephone. Of course, that depends on whether both parties are able to use these systems.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 55

Go to solution

You would be better off with a phone that has call blocking (BT Call Guardian), you can then choose to accept only calls that are in your contacts list, and get others to either announce themselves, or leave a message.

0 Ratings
LowTech
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 55

Go to solution
Fact is with unidentified and international calls "blocked" as shown on my user call protect dashboard I am still getting "Unidentified" calls put through which BT is saying 'will be blocked'. The phone says 'unidentified' and 1572 says 'it cant be blocked - unidentified number'.

Please BT why are you allowing this without mentioning that it doesn't work or can be 'got round by scammers'. Please just block unidentified "As Advertised" or it's a Trading Standards problem for you I think.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
LowTech
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 55

Go to solution

PS to my last message to BT.

Please clarify the "unidentified number" situation without blaming it on technical issues. Please just block all VOIP routed i/c calls if they have no ID information. Simples!

0 Ratings