cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 55

Re: I have BT Call Protect, and have 'blocked' International calls, yet they are still getting throu

Go to solution
As its a service that you don't have to pay for, if it doesn't quite live up to your expectations , it hasn't cost you anything, the fact is , as with most dodgy things in life, the scammers look for a loophole and exploit it, then the legit providers try to close that loophole, the scammers then find a new way to exploit systems ....it's always a catch up game for the legitimate provider.....the chances are that if you suffer from a lot of these type if calls, then Call Protect has reduced the number of those that get through, but I doubt any provider guarantees that their version of Call Protect is perfect, and intercepts 100% of these calls.....your approach of simply blocking VOIP calls with no ID will no doubt stop genuine calls too, and cause complaints about that, as the numbers are 'spoofed' and regularly changed, and not all legitimate international operators conform to the same technical standards them it's inevitable some dodgy calls get through. If it doesn't work well enough , you can always get it removed
0 Ratings
LowTech
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 55

Re: I have BT Call Protect, and have 'blocked' International calls, yet they are still getting throu

Go to solution

Except that BT 1571 Voicemail with BT Call Protect... is the cost of BT 1571 Voicemail with BT Call Protect charged in advance (£3.50 a month) so not really free and I could at least check the option to get no "unrecognised calls at all whatsover", if it existed, and "I'm not expecting any really I'm not" and see what I miss.  Meanwhile... 😉

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 13 of 55

Go to solution

@LowTechwrote:

Except that BT 1571 Voicemail with BT Call Protect... is the cost of BT 1571 Voicemail with BT Call Protect charged in advance (£3.50 a month) so not really free and I could at least check the option to get no "unrecognised calls at all whatsover", if it existed, and "I'm not expecting any really I'm not" and see what I miss.  Meanwhile... 😉

Hi @LowTech,

I have read your post severl times but I still can't quite understand it.

Call Protect is FREE.  1571 is a chargeble add-on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
LowTech
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 55

Go to solution
I meant to say that it's ~£3.50 per month to get BT Call protect, so not free.

It says 'block unavailable number calls' but doesn't block all, apparently for a (suggested) reason above.  But it ought to be easy for BT to add this functionality by checking for any info about call ID. If none  - then junk it.
It's what I pay for so I should have the choice as promoted I think don't you?
I would readily block all VoIP calls if that's the problem.

thanks,
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 55

Go to solution

@LowTechwrote:
I meant to say that it's ~£3.50 per month to get BT Call protect, so not free.

It says 'block unavailable number calls' but doesn't block all, apparently for a (suggested) reason above.  But it ought to be easy for BT to add this functionality by checking for any info about call ID. If none  - then junk it.
It's what I pay for so I should have the choice as promoted I think don't you?
I would readily block all VoIP calls if that's the problem.

thanks,

BT Call Protect is a free service and accessible using 1572.

0 Ratings
RoyMS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 55

Go to solution

I too have BT Call Protect and have set "No International Calls" (as well as "No Withheld" and an active Blacklist).

Sometimes I receive (like today) a call +1 xxx (today's identified as US). I have learned that this is a VISA scam operating from somewhere in the world and newly active today.

But the discussion on this site about this BT option and its problems is not clear to me.

Is the claim that these are "really" UK origin calls, via VOIP which has been set to non-UK spoofs to avoid other Blacklists.

or

Is the claim that these are "really" from (say) India, via VOIP which has tricked the BT system into thinking that it is non-international call, who additionally use +1 numbers to overcome Blacklists? Related to this is it possible for an organisation based overseas to fool the BT system without having a UK office somewhere with a connected system? Many of the overseas scam operations also have a small UK office it seems - is this essential to overcome BT?

or

Does the "International Block" system just not work very well on "genuine" (but still scam) calls from the US ?

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 17 of 55

Go to solution

Hi @RoyMS ,

It might be a good idea if you read some of the various topics on this subject, doing so might answer some of your questions.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 55

Go to solution

@RoyMSwrote:

I too have BT Call Protect and have set "No International Calls" (as well as "No Withheld" and an active Blacklist).

Sometimes I receive (like today) a call +1 xxx (today's identified as US). I have learned that this is a VISA scam operating from somewhere in the world and newly active today.

But the discussion on this site about this BT option and its problems is not clear to me.

For a call to be international, it has to pass through the international gateways where an international flag is added to the digital message of the call.  These are the calls that are blocked by international call blocks.

Any call showing as an international number are irrelevant as scammers simply spoof any number.

0 Ratings
alrjar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 55

Go to solution
I have received 8 calls this afternoon from various numbers, some of which are area codes in the Scottish Highlands or the Hebrides and some which aren't recognised area codes at all. No messages were left. I only answer calls from numbers I have stored in my phone so ignored these ones and have added them all to my Call Protect blacklist.
I would prefer to block international calls in my call settings but I have a daughter who lives abroad. Although her number is stored under her name it still showed up only as "international" unlike UK ones which show the person's name, meaning that I couldn't tell if it was her or a nuisance caller. I have overcome this by assigning a different, individual ring tone to her number and it is a system that works well.
0 Ratings
RoyMS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 55

Go to solution

This is useful, but it does not quite answer my questions. I suppose my questions relate to the worldwide use of VOIP.

Is it the case that any office anywhere in the world can use a VOIP system and phone my BT number without any restrictions possible?

0 Ratings