cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pompey1898
Expert
Message 21 of 55

Re: I have BT Call Protect, and have 'blocked' International calls, yet they are still getting throu

Go to solution

@RoyMSwrote:

This is useful, but it does not quite answer my questions. I suppose my questions relate to the worldwide use of VOIP.

Is it the case that any office anywhere in the world can use a VOIP system and phone my BT number without any restrictions possible?

Yes.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 55

Re: I have BT Call Protect, and have 'blocked' International calls, yet they are still getting throu

Go to solution

@RoyMSwrote:

This is useful, but it does not quite answer my questions. I suppose my questions relate to the worldwide use of VOIP.

Is it the case that any office anywhere in the world can use a VOIP system and phone my BT number without any restrictions possible?

Effectively that may be the case. Only a call passing through the international gateways will have the call type added to the digital message for the system to check, and hence show on a caller display.

0 Ratings
RoyMS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 55

Go to solution
Thanks. My only point of clarification would be to note that I am not necessarily concerned about what is "shown on caller display" since that can be spoofed in any case. I just want clarification as to whether the call itself gets blocked. My setup does block many calls (five today) some of which display on the "BT Call log" as if UK origin, but other evidence suggests they originate overseas.
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 24 of 55

Go to solution

@RoyMSwrote:
 I just want clarification as to whether the call itself gets blocked.

Legitimate calls that meet your blocking criteria should get blocked.  However, the criminals use of spoofed nubers will get through

0 Ratings
LowTech
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 55

Go to solution

I notice that many answers are very cagey about being "up front" with customers questions. It isn't a question of "Legitimate calls that meet your blocking criteria should get blocked". I don't want to block "legitimate calls". Why would I?. I want to block illegitimate calls. Simple as.

BT (or some other) is showing failure but just can't admit it. What happened to solutions with technology? Skip the jargon. Don't expect the customer to understand it. Many appear top be confused by blocking not working when needed.

Surprised BT can't recognize illegitimate calls meeting the description "Unwanted" from wherever. Don't expect the customer to know what comes from where - it's not important. Make sense?

What BT promise is not met. Please find a solution by identifying sources of calls and let us block sources.

Thnx.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 26 of 55

Go to solution

@LowTechwrote:

I notice that many answers are very cagey about being "up front" with customers questions. It isn't a question of "Legitimate calls that meet your blocking criteria should get blocked". I don't want to block "legitimate calls". Why would I?. I want to block illegitimate calls. Simple as.

BT (or some other) is showing failure but just can't admit it. What happened to solutions with technology? Skip the jargon. Don't expect the customer to understand it. Many appear top be confused by blocking not working when needed.

Surprised BT can't recognize illegitimate calls meeting the description "Unwanted" from wherever. Don't expect the customer to know what comes from where - it's not important. Make sense?

What BT promise is not met. Please find a solution by identifying sources of calls and let us block sources.

Thnx.

Hi @LowTech ,

None of the posters on here are being "cagey", they answer questions to the best of their ability

I think you should read some of the topics on the forum relating to scam calls etc., then you might get a better understanding of this world wide problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
LowTech
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 55

Go to solution

I note your comment. Just saying if 'scammers' are using technology to defeat protection systems then technology is the answer. Many are beating around the bush and not getting the point. The promises that the end customer got (in this case from BT) are not practically capable of being upheld... at present. I'd like an apology (from BT) and a note to tell me they are seriously working on it and with e.g. a delivery date for implementation. 😣

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 28 of 55

Go to solution

@LowTechwrote:

I note your comment. Just saying if 'scammers' are using technology to defeat protection systems then technology is the answer. Many are beating around the bush and not getting the point. The promises that the end customer got (in this case from BT) are not practically capable of being upheld... at present. I'd like an apology (from BT) and a note to tell me they are seriously working on it and with e.g. a delivery date for implementation. 😣

The is a worldwide problem as has been mentioned time and again. Do you really expect that all companies around the world are not doing anything to stop it? The likes of AT&T in the USA are tens of times bigger than BT, as are many European companies.

No-one is beating around the bush. This has been happening for years, and clearly there is not going to be any form of delivery date for any form of generic block - similarly with email spam.

If it really was that simple, the telephone companies would have done it. Blocking *all* VoIP calls would work, however everyone is going over to that system - including BT by 2025 (so they say, that aint gonna happen).

0 Ratings
RoyMS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 55

Go to solution

As I mentioned on another post, the fact that BT are going over to "all VOIP" does not seem very encouraging, given that this scam problem is using VOIP and is occasionally only stopped by the existing systems.

So my version of Low Tech's point on that is whether this new "all VOIP system" will be or can be configured to block these scam calls? On the face of it, it might make things a little easier for the scammers, but maybe there is a technological - or customer arrangement e.g extensive free whitelists - which will mitigate it?

0 Ratings
elsanelson
Beginner
Message 30 of 55

Go to solution

This will seem naive, but I am!

The problem identifying calls has to do with the information associated with the connection request.  My ancient knowledge of Plain Old Telephone Service is that there ain't much at the end of the two wires to the recipient.  Maybe there could be at a broadband frequency, but I'm guessing that is different provision altogether.

First question(s):  If you have Caller ID,  what information is there besides a possibly spoofed number and a possibly missing call type?  Can you pay to get more fields sent over?

Call Protect question(s):  Call Protect resides somewhere in BT systems.  Does it have more connection information available than at the receiving phone?  Can any combinations of fields available to Call Protect be used to do this job better?  I'm well aware there are many different scenarios with probably different data available, so I am asking if programming can reveal more of the unwanted/scam situations from the different scenarios presented to Call Protect.  I can't imagine processing speed would be a problem.  Providing a clear description of options to the user might be a challenge, but surely worth the effort.

0 Ratings