cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RoyMS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 51 of 55

Re: I have BT Call Protect, and have 'blocked' International calls, yet they are still getting throu

Go to solution

I am picking out BT because I am paying substantial sums of money each month to them - and to no - one else for a telephone service - which is unable to prevent (and may even be tacitly condoning) illegal operations against me.

Highlighted
sentinelvalue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 52 of 55

Re: I have BT Call Protect, and have 'blocked' International calls, yet they are still getting throu

Go to solution

RoyMS - welcome to real life.

If you're lucky to have parents who raised you correctly, they will have taught you a sense of right and wrong - 0 and 1 - black and white.

As you grow older you learn that the world is no longer 0 or 1 - black or white - but an infinite shades of greys and real numbers - not integers.  Is it still right to steal if you are trying to feed your children and you have no money ? Some people will say yes, some people will say no.

Essentially issues like this continue to happen, because there is not enough consensus or focus to actually stop it from happening.  This is why for anything that you want to get real change happening, you see very large immediate actions being taken with a large amount of people who focus the public's attention on such issues - of course if someone rich or famous is affected then this also helps.  In order for any movement not to stall, continued focus is required.

If some of the comments on this thread are to be believed, we are able to get humans into space and on the moon (as long as you don't believe the moon landings were faked !), yet humans lack the ability or cohesiveness to be able to design a global system that can thwart these types of calls.

Also you have to bear in mind that the world of legislation will always work slower than businesses and criminals do - so by this definition legislation will never be enough to resolve this issue.

The criminals have learnt that this is an easily targetable area which can yield returns for little or no real risk of ANY repurcussion - if you were criminally minded why WOULDN'T you take advantage of this situation ?

The rest of us pretty much have to take it on the chin.  

Welcome to real life.

RobFletcher
Expert
Message 53 of 55

Go to solution

So, after a while blocking all calls with Do Not Disturb, and monitoring my mums phone from afar - we hit this milestone today

I have found this is the only way to stop the scammers. Block ALL calls except those on your VIP list. Shame it costs £3.50 per month. This is genuine as I check all calls each day.

1000.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 54 of 55

Go to solution

Your post indicates a very realistic approach, and can give good results, apparently.

As for hospitals, surgeries etc, some of us will note that these services are increasingly asking us to “update our details” by giving a mobile number for contact......these calls don’t show as “withheld”.. ok if you are quick enough to respond, and your mobile  phone is always nearby-as I don’t think they will leave a message.

Fortunately I’m not in that position, and take the approach “don’t call me, i’ll Call you”.

There’s still the case where a friend positively refuses, as an ex directory user, to use the prefix to unwithhold.

It’s too fiddly.

0 Ratings
sentinelvalue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 55 of 55

Go to solution

@Andy_N - I believe the anti spoofing technology you may have been referring to (but not by name) is this - https://transnexus.com/whitepapers/understanding-stir-shaken/

It still relies on an external "look-up" to validate a user's number - although this lookup will be quicker as it is a simple certificate verification, it is even more open to abuse as all the spammers will do is to buy a certificate (or create their own certification entity) and they'll go back to their old ways.

I think the only foolproof method is to go back to smoke signals .. although they can also be hacked ! 😉

0 Ratings