cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sentinelvalue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 55

Re: I have BT Call Protect, and have 'blocked' International calls, yet they are still getting throu

Go to solution

elsanelson - you probably won't get the answers to your questions (at least publicly on this forum) as it isn't just BT customers that experience these issues that read these forums - make no mistake - the "scammers" also read these forums to ferret out any method to circumnavigate whatever telecoms providers put in place ... in another words - security through obscurity.

Personally I'd love the chance to work with BT to design a system that can defeat the scammers - it can be done but would require laws to be put in place to allow a UK telecoms provider to immediately cut of access to the phone network with no notice as I've described in another post.  Once this happened once or twice make no mistake - things would change quite quickly, but it's getting the impetus to get these changes initiated.  I'm sure if someone important was affected by this things would happen quite quickly ...

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 32 of 55

Re: I have BT Call Protect, and have 'blocked' International calls, yet they are still getting throu

Go to solution

If anyone really wants to avoid nuisance and scam calls then the tool exists, get a call barring phone, which is not too expensive.

sentinelvalue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 55

Go to solution

I think a call barring phone is only a truly effective solution when you have a list of callers that you can whitelist and that you can safely ignore everyone else who isn't on that list.

If your use case doesn't fit this one scenario I would go so far as to say there is no current solution to your issue that is commercially available.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 34 of 55

Go to solution

In theory there is nothing anyone can do to stop someone ringing any other number.

However, as posted elsewhere, there are call blocking phones that will prevent nuisance and scam calls causing your phone to ring, viz :-

https://www.ligo.co.uk/blog/top-3-nuisance-call-blocking-phones/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4oLZ4_zC4wIVGODtC...

These do exactly what you are asking for.

0 Ratings
sentinelvalue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 55

Go to solution

Hi pompey1898 - thanks for replying.

When you refer to "In theory there is nothing anyone can do to stop someone ringing any other number" - this is totally accurate, however this isn't the mission objective.

The mission objective is to stop scammers/nuisance calls from getting through - these individuals use certain known techniques to try and these - by in large - can be countered as previously discussed - or at least more effective ways of countering them can easily be brought to market.

For example, I will not post their number as I don't want any potential automated system to blacklist there number, but one of the numbers that called me was spoofed from a valid number used by a sandwich shop in the UK - obviously the abuse they received from such calls had got to such an extent that when I called I received an answerphone message which detailed the problem.  This shouldn't be happening in a country like the UK in the 21st Century.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 36 of 55

Go to solution

As has been said on numerous occasions, this is a worldwide issue - and if it really was that easy to currently prevent these scammers, then the worlds telecoms companies would be doing it.

If you have a system that can be made available to all, rather than an individual - and not put a massive drain on the finite resources of the exchanges, not to mention the possible overheads involved, then I'm sure AT&T, Deutsche Telecom and other massive players will want to hear from you.

The digital messages for each telephone call has a limited bit space, and any changes necessary could mean an international agreement in the technology and agreed protocol arrangments, not to mention a whole new software build for exchanges around the world.

sentinelvalue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 55

Go to solution

Andy_N - there is precedence for this type of co-operation to occur - the internet and TCP/IP is a good example - albeit this was originally designed for continued communications after a possible nuclear war, and entities are now looking/working to fragment it with a tiering system.

If one country can demonstrate/design a working system, and other countries see this then I can't see why a solution couldn't essentially "snowball" and be adopted globally.

Can you see any issues with the solution I've suggested - even if it is purely within the UK to begin with ?

As you seem knowledgeable on this subject are you aware of any initiatives being worked on at a global level to combat this issue ? I'd be interested in doing some reading up if so - I haven't been able to find anything.

Edit - I outlined a possible potential resolution for this issue in the following thread - https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Call-Protect-Personal-Blacklist-amp-an-idea-for-dealing-with/m-...

LowTech
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 55

Go to solution

It's a BT selling point which cant be facilitated. It's annoying a lot more customers than chat on here. It's getting too technical and none of this is explained to folk who done want scam calls. Maybe it's unexplainable to most. Let's hope it's fixed when 'we all go voip' and none of it works as at present. Cheers for the info, all. 😌

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 39 of 55

Go to solution

@sentinelvaluewrote:

If one country can demonstrate/design a working system, and other countries see this then I can't see why a solution couldn't essentially "snowball" and be adopted globally.

I can!

Can you see any issues with the solution I've suggested - even if it is purely within the UK to begin with ?

Absolutely.

Edit - I outlined a possible potential resolution for this issue in the following thread - https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Call-Protect-Personal-Blacklist-amp-an-idea-for-dealing-with/m-...

As I have said before, the overheads in checking a "called from" number exists for every single call made by various switch types and technologies is clearly going to be massive. I've no idea how many calls per second that can be handled at times, but it's probably in the tens of thousands for some things like voting or phone-ins (probably more historic than current).

Every single call being terminated (or routed) is somehow going to have to check a database somewhere, or a multiple of them to see if numbers are valid to call. It will need to be worldwide and cover a vast amount of types, a vast amount of countries - along with the agreement for the countries to have access to those numbers. This simply wont happen. Calls simply do not route that way, they only need to find the destination - and that destination deals with the low level individual routing. So international calls will only need to identify the country, and the call is then dealt within that country, like wise voip and mobile.

Every single exchange is going to have to have access  - and somehow be able to check using a message system, which will inevitably need new hardware, possible new signalling - not to mention the physical fibre in order to carry this extra calling feature.

There are bound to be vast amounts of changes each day to the numbers "available".

Again, like I said - for the individual, blocking is straight forward - for a telecom company, it's not at all the same.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 40 of 55

Go to solution

Hi @Andy_N ,

Good explanation but I fear it will fall on deaf ears like all the others.  He/she has a solution with a call blocking phone but I think they may enjoy the aggravation 😖

0 Ratings