cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
FP0701
Message 1 of 9

I have a BT 4500 phone. When some numbers call A is displayed on Base LED. What does this mean?

I have a BT 4500 phone. When some numbers call A is displayed on the Base LED.   There is nothing in the user guide about this.  I cannont make any calls ountil I switch off the phone to get rid of the code.

What does this A code mean and does anyone know how I can fix the apparant problem?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES
FP0701
Message 2 of 9

BT Phone 4500 - A code displayed on LED

My phone has just started displaying the letter A on the Base LED.  I cannot make any calls unless I switch off the phone to remove the display.  There is nothing in the User Guide/Manual on this.

Does anyone know what this "A" code means, what has caused it to be displayed and how do I fix it?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Re: BT Phone 4500 - A code displayed on LED

What happens if you turn the answerphone off?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
FP0701
Message 4 of 9

Haven't tried that.  I'll hive it a go thanks but still not sure why this is happening.  I'm assuming you thinkk it is something to do with the answering machine?  Its just started happening.  We've alwayd had the answer machine on with no problems.

0 Ratings
VeteranISPUser
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

Hi @FP0701

If all else fails you could contact the support for your phone, this page http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45625/~/bt4500-big-button provides contact numbers for in or out of warranty. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Have you tried turning the power off, waiting 30 seconds, and then turning it on again?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

The other possibility is that Call Guardian is sending all calls to the answering machine, perhaps because caller ID id not working. Try turning Call Guardian off.

The "A" may be showing because the answer machine is answering a call.

0 Ratings
FP0701
Message 8 of 9

I had to switch off the power to remove the A display and return the phone to normal.  I was however still getting the problem.

I've also tried to re-set the base settings but to no avail.

I've switched off Answer Phone to see if it makes a difference.   I'll see how that goes.

I'll also try to check o see if there is a pattern to the calls that seem to cause the phone to display A in the LED, once I switch the Answering Maxhine back on again.

We don't have Call Guardian on our phone.

We've had the phone a long time so it could be that faults are just developing due to age.

I'll see how things go and maybe phone the out-of-warranty phone number as a last resort.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Its possible that the answering machine is not detecting the disconnection of the incoming caller, and is holding the line open, stopping you from using the phone. It may be a fault with the phone, or possibly a line fault caused by a battery connection.

Have you tried to run the BT Line test to see if it detects any faults?

You could try ringing you home phone from a mobile, and end the call as soon as the answer machine is activated, to see if you can reproduce the fault.

0 Ratings