cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 9

I'm receiving lots of scam calls can I just pull the cable out of my phone for a month?

Go to solution

I'll only connect it if I need to make a call. Would that cause any problems?

Edit: I was told that the phone must stay connected to the network, or else I'll get in trouble with BT, or this will cause technical problems on the network. Is there any truth to this?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Message 2 of 9

Re: I'm receiving lots of scam calls can I just pull the cable out of my phone for a month?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 9

Re: I'm receiving lots of scam calls can I just pull the cable out of my phone for a month?

Go to solution

No problems whatsoever unless you're concerned about legitimate callers not being able to ring without an "appointment".

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
I've been told that the phone must stay connected to the network, or else I'll get in trouble with BT, or this will cause technical problems on the network. I guess that's not the case then?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

You've been fed BS.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
Absolutely not, will cause no problems whatsever.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@martinkzwrote:
I've been told that the phone must stay connected to the network, or else I'll get in trouble with BT, or this will cause technical problems on the network. I guess that's not the case then?

I haven't heard this before but if you're concerned you should get a definitive statement from BT.

Other posters in your position have unplugged their phones having discovered that nothing else absolutely guarantees a life free from scam calls on their landline; I've not seen mention of a BT compliance breach by doing so.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

There are many thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people who don't even have a landline phone let alone have one plugged into the socket. There is no requirement for you to plug one in if you don't want to. 

It might however be worth plugging it in once a month and giving your land line number a call from another phone such as your mobile if you have one just to ensure that the circuit is kept "clear" and to check it is working OK in case you need to make an emergency call.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

You need a phone line to get BT broadband. Many people rely exclusively on mobile for phone calls though, and a good many of them won't keep a static phone plugged in.

EDIT: Snap!

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings