cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

If I moved to B T could you fix this?

Go to solution

I have a phone number that goes back to pre privatisation so is in the BT range.

Never had any serious problems with it.

I moved from TalkTalk to Vodafone back in February. Everything appeared to be fine, but a fundamental problem was that TalkTalk refused to believe I had left. Eventually sorted out the billing.

However, it became clear that there had been a problem with the mechanics of the switch.

Put simply people with TalkTalk/Post Office/iD/Three can never reach me (receiving ring tone but never getting through). After much digging I expect this is due to Call Trap (a mechanism to route calls directly between subscribers on a network without reference to the number range owner).

Now the question. If I moved from Vodafone to BT would you be able sort this out as TalkTalk and Vodafone have been unable to even understand the explanation.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: If I moved to B T could you fix this?

Go to solution

If the number was originally issued to you from BT and you still live at same address and same exchange then after moving your package to BT and becoming BT customer you can ask   for a re-number back to the number you require

if it was 8 months ago you lost the number have you checked that it is not allocated to someone else by dialling the number?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 26

Go to solution

My number is working fine with other networks calling in and for calling out to anyone.

If it was a simpler problem it would be easier to sort out. Trying to explain to Vodafone has been impossible as their only option was to repeatedly test the line.

They did send Openreach to the house, I asked my son to call both before and after they moved me from one Vodafone equipment to another at the in layman's term the exchange. Promised he would escalate it, but Vodafone have come back saying it is a problem with three numbers they asked me to provide. Have subsequently asked another person with TalkTalk to call me with the same result!

Lurking around various forums other people seem to suffer similar problems and are met with similar frustration.

This forum appears to actually solve problems.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

Sorry but confused

You have lost your number when you moved from TT to Vodafone  and currently have a different number?  If so tbe number will have been returned to BT and may be available once you become a BT customer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

@ColinD1 

BT Retail do not control phone numbers. Each provider has their own number ranges.

If the number that you want, belongs to BT Retail, and it exists on the equipment in the physical exchange building that you are connected to, and has not already been re-allocated, then if you become a BT Retail customer, you should normally be able to get that number, once your service has been activated, by requesting a renumber.

Until you are a BT Retail customer, this BT Retail customer forum cannot help.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

I think the OP’s problem isn’t that they don’t have the ‘correct’ number, or don’t get any incoming calls, but incoming calls from certain operators don’t get through, those calls return ‘ringtone’ to the caller , but the OP’s phone doesn’t actually ‘ring’, they suspect ( as do I ) that it’s a consequence of the messed up number port.

It’s possible that returning the number to the number range holder could resolve these issues and anyone calling that number will get through, but ultimately it cannot be guaranteed, any call currently originated on the networks that return ‘ringtone no reply’ may well continue to do so  even after moving back to BT , and as the issue is with those company’s , they would have to intervene on behalf of someone who isn’t a customer....assuming that you ( or your new provider ) can convince them to even investigate the issue.

If you would only consider moving to BT on the understanding that absolutely all incoming calls , including those originating on Talk Talk , and those others ( presumably they have some sort of wholesale arrangement with TT) would terminate ‘guaranteed’, then considering that isn’t within BT’s sole control, no such guarantee could be offered, and if you moved to BT and the situation didn’t change, I doubt you would be released from any minimum term penalty free, using that as the reason.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

Thank you very much for your analysis.

I have no way of knowing how many other people end up in this situation. I doubt if many will take it this far.

I have heard of the OTA, but I now believe they only deal with policy. 

The message appears to be if it goes wrong tough.

My choices appear to be

• Accept I have a number that my various doctors  know and can reach me on at moment, but other people cannot reach me (not really tenable)
  • Ask for a new number with my present provider
  • Move to BT and hope for the best, then accept a new number if it goes wrong

Thank you again, I suppose it was as I expected. It is a bit like an elephant in the room but with a trunk that doesn't work properly.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution

A possible alternative way of getting this looked at ( arguably the correct way ) requires someone who makes the outgoing call ( so basically a Talk Talk customer ) raising a fault ticket , in effect stating that when they call your landline from their TT landline  , and  they know you are at home, you don’t answer, but if they immediately call your landline from an alternative, like a mobile or a non TT landline , you answer , ‘proving’ your phone and incoming line are OK, and it’s the interconnection between TT and your provider , however, initially at least , that in itself gives TT reason to deny responsibility, ‘it’s them not us’ is the likely response to a fault raised, so tenacity in not giving up would be needed.

I dare say you have found raising  a fault with VF gets a similar  response, ‘we can call you OK, ergo no fault at our end, must be the other party’s problem’,  that’s almost certainly true, what they probably wouldn’t do though , is use some sort of back channel into TT and ask them to check or even have a TT tech liaise with a VF tech , tracing a call path to see where the failure occurs , assuming these operators even have this option.

The OTA may be able to help, or alternatively ( AFAIK ) the OFCOM site has a form to fill in if your provider refuses to port, but you are in a unusual position in that the majority of providers do direct calls to your number correctly, only a few  don’t, and you are not a customer of that company.

I would hazard a guess that there is a link between those company’s that fail to deliver calls to you ,  in that they  probably all use the TT network , some on a wholesale basis.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

Thanks.

I have raised it via OFCOM and OTA via the form on the OFCOM site (they do not seem to have any email access).

I persuaded my son on id/THREE to have a go at the problem from the other end and we have got nowhere.

Vodafone say we have asked OPENREACH and they declare there is no fault (as you predicted). OFCOM say the solution lies with Vodafone. I have been incredibly persistent with them because they refuse to  accept that they are responsible for the switching process and that it has gone wrong.  Unable to comprehend their organisation let alone any back channel (they have refused my repeated requests for access to someone who could answer technical questions).

In vain I am having another go with TalkTalk on their community. They did ask for it as they posted how did the ADR process go (please don't ask as it was disaster).

I have asked OFCOM if they are happy that the integrity of the trunk network is compromised because they are encouraging people to switch.

Thank you again for your help. I have learnt a lot I should never need to know again and have an explanation of what has gone wrong in my case that fits the facts as my reward! Shame it looks like I should get a new number to put in the Christmas cards.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution

Although VF are your provider , and as Ofcom state , as your provider they are ultimately responsible for you having a complete service , I do have some sympathy for them ,  in that there is an error that needs correcting , but it’s not within VF’s control to apply the fix, that’s down to TT, but as you cannot deal with  TT yourself , it is only VF that can.....having said that , it shows the poor level of technical knowledge that VF referred what is obviously not an Openreach issue, to Openreach to look at.