cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveS99
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Infinity Broadband disconnects when I make a phone call

I have had BT Infinity 2  for a couple of months now and it has been rock solid with download speeds approaching 75Mbs.

I the last few days something has changed (I have made no changes whatsoever in the house)

Pretty much every time in the last few day I have made  phone call, the broadband has dropped out. The HH5 flashes orange for a while and when the call is over it immediately reestablishes a broadband connection and goes solid blue again.

The phone line itself seems more crackly than usual over the past few days when I make calls.

I have done the BT line test of the phone line using https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/reporting.do?pageId=21 and that does not report any problems.

My broadband also seems a bit slower that it was before - presumably because of all the dissconnects?

Any advice? Dont ask me about master sockets/ test sockets. This is an oldish house and the phone/HH5 are connected to the only socket in the house that receives a dial tone. I dont think i have a master socket as such. But as I said it has been rock solid for a couple of months until the last few days.

And advice on how to pursue this? As a line fault or a broadband fault?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Infinity Broadband disconnects when I make a phone call

Report it as a noisy phone line, do not mention broadband, otherwise it will end up in the wrong queue, and things will get complicated.

The online line tester does not normally see high resistance connections.

When the phone line is fixed, the broadband will get better.

Use this online report page.

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=2&s_cid=con_FURL_faults

Use "crackling and noise on phone calls" or something similar, as the fault description.

I will move this post to the phone board, just in case it needs more help later.

0 Ratings
SteveS99
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks

Looked at that link. It makes you do a line test (reports no problem) and the only forward option after that seems to be to book an engineer home visit (which may cost £129.99). Is that what you are suggesting I do? Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

If you only have one socket, and the noise is present with just the phone plugged into the socket, then the fault is outside somewhere, and you should not be charged unless its damaged wiring within your boundary.

See

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

They have to warn you about a possible charge, in advance.

0 Ratings
SteveS99
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Ok Thanks

I am going to try a different phone plugged into the socket for a while  for a while to see if that makes any difference.

If that fails I will do as you suggest. Thank-you

0 Ratings