Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pt2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Informed unable to port number from Sky to BT

Go to solution

Hello, I'd be grateful if someone could offer me some advice. I have recently switched broadband & phone from Sky to BT in order to take up BT Sport offer. To my amazement I received an email & letter giving me details of my new phone number. I am not moving house and this wasn't mentioned at all during the sign up process (which I had to do online and then later over the phone due to a technical error). Changing home phone number would cause me huge inconvenience.

After several phone calls I spoke to someone who advised that porting over my existing number shouldn't be a problem, the only way this couldn't happen is if someone else specifically requested that number before the porting was done. My switchover day was yesterday, today I received a phone call stating it had not been possible to port my old number due to "the exchange" and "because the line is underground". I am both furious and bewildered.

Could someone please try and make sense of this? If Sky can give me this number on what is essentially a BT line at the same address why can't BT? Is this really "impossible" or am I being fobbed off asit's not straightforward? Everything I've read online says this should be guaranteed for the same address. If I cancel would Sky be able to get my old number back? Are there really no other options?

Thanks

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Informed unable to port number from Sky to BT

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Where you ever a BT Retail customer?

If you were, are you still living at the same address as you are now?

0 Ratings
pt2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. No I was never a BT Retail customer, Ive been with Sky since shortly after moving to my current address around 10 years ago.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

@pt2018 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. No I was never a BT Retail customer, Ive been with Sky since shortly after moving to my current address around 10 years ago.

Then your number belongs to Sky, and will not appear on the local BT exchange number range, which is why it can`t be ported over. Sky have their own equipment and allocated number range. They only rent the pair of wires from Openreach.

It should be possible for Sky to put a number change message on your old Sky number, telling people your new number.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

Likely then that no. belongs to Sky's pool.

Highlighted
pt2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks for the responses, but according to Ofcom "if in the same residence your old provider must allow the number to be transferred to your new service". This was done when I originally switched to Sky from the old provider and I know other people in the same area who have switched broadband providers with no issues. I also can't find anything online to say there is such an issue between Sky and BT. Not doubting your knowledge in this area, it just still seems completely illogical to me. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

Who was your old provider before Sky?

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution
If you haven't moved address ( and therefore both the Sky LLU kit and the BT exchange kit is effectively in the same 'exchange' location) then you should be able to port the number from Sky to BT , regardless of the number always being part of Sky's number range) after all that is exactly what number porting is, moving a number from one provider number range to another company . The only possible problem is if the number port wasn't requested initially , then it's possible that Sky have already 'ceased' the number on their network , and after a quarantine period, will make it available to another Sky customer, and BT have just allocated you any old number...if the number was to be ported , it should have been part of the migration process....if you had trouble with the order, the port of the number may have missed of the migration order Sky get 'BT' numbers ported onto thier network every day, and number port is a reciprocal arrangement, if Sky want to port other company's numbers into their own network , they have to make 'Sky' numbers available to be exported to other company's...you cannot just import , you have to export if you want to import. You may still be able to get the number ported from Sky to BT but it would require good will on both BT and Sky's part, one for BT to go the extra mile for you, and for Sky not to be pedantic and state if the number was to be ported it should have been requested from the start....perhaps a BT Mod may offer some help. If you are a fibre to the home (FTTH) customer with FVA for 'phone' services with BT , but were an 'ordinary' copper pair with Sky then porting may not be possible , but that sounds unlikely.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution
Sorry for my post being a little hard to read, I do use paragraphs, they disappear when my post is shown .
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

@iniltous

I would have to disagree with that.

The BT exchange equipment will have a range of numbers allocated to the Remote Concentrator which cannot be altered.

This is why @pt2018 has been told that the problem is the "exchange".

Its nothing to do with underground.

Outgoing calls from the exchange have to originate from one of those numbers. This is a legacy issue which can cause problems.

Incoming calls are not a problem, as they can be dealt with at the OLO (Other Licenced Operator) network interface.

Porting from BT to Sky, or another operator, is easier, because OLOs can generate an outgoing call on any number, as they are not tied to the restrictions that apply to BT exchanges.

If the number had originally belonged to BT Retail, and the customer was still in the same exchange area, then porting back to BT is easy, because the number would exist on the local BT exchange, and would have not been allocated to anyone else.

You do not have a BT line. All you have is a pair of wires provided by Openreach, which in unbundled to Sky, so they can connect their equipment to it.

BT should have informed you when you placed your order, that you would have to accept a new number. I think this happens automatically when you place an order onlline, but the sales person may not have mentioned it.

0 Ratings