Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pt2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 22

Re: Informed unable to port number from Sky to BT

Go to solution

Ok have just looked at some old emails as my memory is hazy. I believe it was Tiscali and in April 2008 I paid BT £125 to "reactivate" the phone line as the previous occupant had also used Tiscali before the line was switched off. I have had the same phone number ever since.

If there is such an issue as described between Sky and BT I'm at a loss why two different operators would tell me this shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again for you respones I'm not trying to be difficult I'm just still frustrated and confused.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 22

Go to solution

Tiscali was also an LLU which I think was aquired by TalkTalk, another LLU operator, and they used the same equipment in the exchange, so porting was easy.

There have been so many mergers over the years, its difficult to keep track of them. It was much easier when it was the GPO Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 22

Go to solution

@pt2018 wrote:

If there is such an issue as described between Sky and BT I'm at a loss why two different operators would tell me this shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again for you respones I'm not trying to be difficult I'm just still frustrated and confused.

Its BT that have the problem, owing to the age and design of the exchanges.

As I have said, Sky should be able to arrange a changed number announcement to callers.

The problem would have been the same if you had moved house, you would have most likely lost your number.

Most people do not seem to worry these days, as they use their mobile numbers instead.

However, I will ask a moderator to comment, although this isuue has been raised before in the past.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 22

Go to solution

Hi @pt2018,

There are cases @Keith_Beddoe has said when we aren't able to port an number over to BT. If it isn't possible, this should be confirmed as part of the order.

I'll be able to take a look at this for you to see if anything can be done. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 22

Go to solution
Back in the day, when BT and Cable Telco's were the duopoly , to ensure consumers didn't stay with BT just because they were reluctant to have a 'new' phone number if they joined the cable company, number portability was mandated by the (then) regulator Oftel , it was a reciprocal arrangement, if you wanted to be able to port BT numbers into your (cable) network you also had to offer to export 'your' cable numbers to BT ( if BT won a cable customer with a cable number) ..at the time the underlying digital exchange technology used by the cable company's and BT was the same, so if a cable company could import a number from BT , the cable company also had to ensure that this cable customer, with the imported BT number presented the appropriate (BT range) CLI , and if that cable company customer called the cabl company's version of 17070 the number read back would be the imported BT number .....so the cable company exchange technology was capable of generating a number that wasn't from its native number range....spoofing a number although probably more associated with ISDN , than POTS , is just a manipulation 'presentation' number BT would be at a pretty serious competitive disadvantage if number port was a one way street, they have to export , but don't have the capacity or ability to import other company's numbers that's hardly a 'fair' system Although a bit pedantic , a BT number exported to another OLO , the brought back to BT isn't ported twice , away from BT then back again, it's just returned to the number range holder
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 22

Go to solution

Hi @pt2018,

Thanks for sending over the details. I tried calling, sorry I missed you. When the line switches over to BT it takes 14 days for the records to update in the background. Once that's all done we can then check if it's possible to renumber the line back to your original number. I can see you're in touch with the number port guys but I'll keep an eye on this for you if you wish.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
pt2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 22

Go to solution

Hi David, sorry missed call as was driving home from work. Yes please if you can keep an eye on it and update me, if it's possible for it to be done it will save me a lot of inconvenience.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 22

Go to solution

Hi @pt2018,

Thanks for posting. It takes 14 days for the number to clear at which point I'll be able to confirm if we can get it for you. I'll be in touch as soon as I have anything.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 19 of 22

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Tiscali was also an LLU which I think was aquired by TalkTalk, another LLU operator, and they used the same equipment in the exchange, so porting was easy.

@Keith_Beddoe Yes they were.. My Dad was with LineOne (back in the day) and they got swallowed up by Tiscali, who in turn got taken over by TalkTalk (then part of CPW).   Dad remained with TT for a few years.. then moved back to BT. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 22

Go to solution

Hi @pt2018,

I tried calling today, sorry I missed you. Can you check and let me know if the number has been ported over for you?

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”