Some 5 months ago an engineer connected the BT line to the existing sockets in our (new build) bungalow.
There was a fair bit of "huffing & puffing" while the engineer worked out out which way the sockets were wired up & he eventually fitted a new BT socket as master & put everything back together & it seemed to work OK.
We have been using the "master" socket for the router (Hub 6) & one of the other sockets for the landline......... everything seemingly OK.
However when we attempted to connect a phone to socket no3 it was "dead" displaying "no line" on the (BT) phone we used.
How do I stand with getting this put right as it is some 5 months ago now since the bungalow socket wiring was worked on by the BT engineer ?
It's not the end of the world of course as the other 2 sockets are working normally
I imagine the builders (12 month care warranty) people will decline responsibility after the socket wiring was worked on by BT. which they are perfectly entitled to do.
I am capable of fixing this myself (retired electrical engineer) but would prefer BT to fix this if possible.......
Any thoughts ?
Solved! Go to Solution.
You are responsible for any internal wiring. It can be a real problem in new houses, as it often does not run in a logical order.
That faulty socket would be daisy chained from another one. You could check the wiring behind and see if there are one or two cables coming in, as that may be the end of the chain.
You should easily fix this yourself, even if you have to use a multimeter to check continuity.
It depends how you look at this.
The BT guy who connected the bungalow up spent about 3 hours or so playing around with the socket wiring after he had decided the master socket was in the wrong place
He basically left socket 3 not working & when we tried a new phone into socket 3 yesterday that's when I discovered that socket 3 was not working/connected.
The work done by the engineer was described to me as being completed with everything working......... clearly this was incorrect (unless a mouse or something has eaten some wires etc.... in the meantime)
As you surmise I do have the ability to easily fix this but am getting sick of having to correct shoddy work and or components................ it's just a sad reflection of the way things are done these days, not just by BT of course
Ah well....Happy New Year & all that
Well my son moved into a new build, and it took him days to work out the way the builders had run the cables, there was no logic in it.
He wanted to replace the phone sockets with RJ45 Ethernet ports. Two ports on one faceplate, to allow insertion of Ethernet switches etc.
It took days to work out, so I do have some sympathy for the BT person.
Sparks wiring new builds normally treat phone cables in the same way as they would a lighting cct.
It's only 2 loops with one cable in a basic 3 socket cct in my case
In our place the cable is taken in from the front of the bungalow up to the loft space via the cavity & then dropped down to the 3 sockets.
Your right though, there are some horror stories about telecom wiring & I've had to fix my share of those over the years 🙂
The sockets were originally wired as having the master socket where the TV was expected to be along with an aerial socket & 2 off 2 gang socket plates.
This is the way I would have designed & installed the phone socket ccts in a modern house for ease of siting routers etc... in preference to the previous "accepted" location just inside the front door in the passage.
Perhaps there is some BT "protocol" about the positioning of the master socket ?
The problem was caused because the engineer wanted the master socket to be nearest to the terminal box on the outside wall.
A quick look in the loft would have shown the phone wires, I did think of mentioning that at the time but.......................
My point was that the engineer decided that the wiring was incorrect & chose to fit a new master socket & change the original wiring around.
Whether he did the work as a "customer service" thing or not is not really the point.
He did mention that he had been allocated up to 6hrs of his time to cover any problems such as he found in this job.
Out of curiosity I will pull off the offending socket plate & have a look at what is going on tomorrow.
As has been mentioned it will probably be impossible to get BT to fix the offending socket in reality & the builder will also decline responsibility as the wiring has been "modified"
As I mentioned previously the engineer decided to have the master socket in a different location to that as supplied by the builder & that caused the extra work & head scratching that led to the socket that I now wish to use not working.
I would have preferred to have the master socket in it's original location but was told that the MS had to go to a different location
In the industry I worked in you become responsible when you work on an installation for the parts of that installation that you worked with & tested & declared as "working satisfactorily".
All work done should be done to a satisfactory standard & guaranteed to be as such for a period of time
About the "cables" iniltous .............. it appeared to be the same cable inside & out as the cable was laid into the outside box from the underground ducting & then into the bungalow with the 2 tails left for the engineer to connect in the box .
Something else to have a look at (provided the box is not tamper sealed)
Not a lot of point going any further with this as the consensus is more or less what I thought ..................that BT will not want to fix this (or tell OR to fix it for their customer)