cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Installing new landline but not activating?

Hello,

I have a house which has been converted two flats.

I believe there is one incoming BT line but I want to install another into the other flat but not activate it (as I won't be living there) but leave it for the new tenants to take up the service if they wish.

How do I go about this?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Installing new landline but not activating?

You can order another line to be installed but you will then have to pay the ongoing line rental. You can't just have a line installed & then just drop it expecting it to be taken up by others in the future.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

@NewNewbie 

The tenant will have to arrange their own connection, with whichever Service Provider they choose, and they will be liable to any ongoing costs.

The lines are not "BT Lines", the network belongs to Openreach.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

So I should plaster everything, put in a new driveway and then later let BT possibly dig it up and/or drill holes everywhere?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Either that or pay the ongoing monthly rental. 

I believe developers have some way with BT of laying on lines to new builds. Can you count yourself as that? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

if you have an existing phone line at present then the new line would just follow that into the other flat

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

Why are you posting on a BT Consumer forum, your ‘issue’ has nothing to do with BT.
Put another way, do you expect Openreach to spend time money and effort in the hope that at some point an order will be made for service, what if you get a tennant that only uses a mobile and isn’t interested in anything else ?
If you were a developer of some scale , then OR would be proactive, but not in a house converted into flats.
Just of curiosity, you mention the existing pre converted property having a landline , presumably via an underground feed, where inside the property does this appear ? , if it’s in what will be a communal area, then the second pair of the house lead in would be used , and ‘internal’ wiring to the new flat, so you don’t really have an issue.
If your conversion is going to be recognised by the Post Office and local council as separate addresses, then should the tenant order service from an OR based provider ( doesn’t have to be BT ) then it would be OR’s problem on how to deliver service, if you laid down restrictions ( like no excavation ) then other methods are considered , or they tell your tennant your restrictions are delaying things and possibly seek a compulsory wayleave if that is what’s required to satisfy the USO ) but it’s also possible, even in an underground area, a pole can be put up and a dropwire used for service