cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shloo
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Interference on phone line - do we need filters?

Hi, 

We have BT Infinity, and since it was installed we have had a lot of interference on the phone line.  At first we thought it was a duff phone, but having tried a different handset we think it's something to do with the set up.  Using a straightforward wired phone it sounds a bit as though we've got a crossed line - faint talking in the background.  Our usual multi-handset wireless phone just sounds rather muffled with a lot of interference.

Under the old broadband system we had filters, but with this setup there are no filters fitted, and our old ones won't fit the DSL socket.  The main phone base unit it situated some distance from the broadband box, connected via an extension socket.  Putting a filter in to this socket did seem to help the situation, but it wasn't ideal.

So, what filtering should we have in the system?  Could it be something else?  Since logging on today to try and get some ideas with how to deal with this I've seen things about accelerators - what are they and is that what we need??

many thanks

shloo

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Interference on phone line - do we need filters?

infinity is fitted with a filter built into the master socket an no other filters are required.  if you try the quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2 and there is noise then you need to report a phone fault to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
shloo
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thanks - we've tried it and it sounds like there's some radio interference (apparently Millwall are winning!).  I'll report it as a fault.

thanks!

shloo

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

If you're getting overhearing the pairs for your line have come into contact with another pair, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the fault is in the cabinet.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

hi report it as a voice fault on 151
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

Have you removed the openreach front plate and plugged a corded phone into the test socket located on the right hand side behind the frontplate?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings