For the past several months we have been troubled by intermittent distortion on our line. Our original setup had an Openreach faceplate filter at the master socket, with cordless phone on extension wiring, and broadband (Infinity) run from the Openreach faceplate to a HomeHub 5A. We have now removed the Openreach faceplate and all extension wiring, have plugged a microfilter (supplied with the HH 5) into the master socket's test socket, and have connected phone and broadband to the microfilter. We have also tried a new cordless phone (Gigaset 620A) and two new corded phones (BT Duet 210 and ATL Berkshire 100) and the problem persists pretty much unaltered throughout.
About one call in six, the party at the far end hears voice heavily distorted so that speech is more or less incomprehensible. On other calls, the quality is fine. At our end, the quality is always fine. It doesn't matter which end initiates the call. Occurrence of the fault seems quite random. Broadband is unaffected. We have tried the automated online checking facility, which finds no fault.
Family members and others we speak to regularly are getting pretty fed up with this (as are we) but because the fault is intermittent it seems hard to pin down or demonstrate to a visiting engineer. We are loathe to be hit with high call-out charges and minimal chance of a fix.
Can anyone suggest how it might be best to proceed? Many thanks in advance!
Hello Keith - Just done the online test, a couple of times. What do you think would be the best route for reporting?
As a follow-up: I wrote to BT Correspondence Centre, setting out the problem and asking for clarification of the charging policy in case of an engineer visit that failed to find a fault. Well, I never did receive a clear-cut response to that query, but I did get a very helpful call from BT customer services, leading to an Openreach engineer visit. As something of a last resort, the line having passed all tests, the engineer offered to change the exchange equipment - following which the faut appears to have been cleared. I should add that we logged about 50 calls, including test calls to/from our own mobiles, to pin down that this really was an intermittent fault with our line, and a similar number to convince ourselves that it has, hopefully, been cleared. It may also have helped that the BT agent experienced the fault first hand! But to anyone in a similar position I would recommend (i) logging a suitable number of calls and (ii) writing to BT. The bottom line is that BT customer services has been most helpful, following up after the engineer visit as well as initiating it, and the fault looks to be fixed. So, happy customer!