cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wisewellies
Message 1 of 2

Intermittent line noise

To be brief, we have intermittent noise on our line, characterised by pops and crackling. We have no internal extension wiring - just a master socket which appears to be in excellent condition. I've done the usual tests - several different phones plugged in to the test socket, all exhibit the same problem when using the 17070 quiet line test. It would appear that the fault is somewhere on the BT side of the network.

So, when I try to book an appointment to have the fault fixed, the first thing that happens is a line test is run. The line test shows no faults, and annoyingly, the noise also disappears after the test is run. It usually reappears within a week or so... but of course this means that if I do get someone out to investigate, there's a high liklihood that no fault will be found. One would assume that the technician would at very least need to be able to hear the problem in order to determine whether they've resolved it or not.

So I have a dilemma. The only way to book an appointment is for the line test to be run first - even the call centre has confirmed this. But if the line test has been run, the symptoms might not come back for weeks afterwards. Is it worth a £130 gamble? I don't like the idea of being charged if a technician can't find an intermittent fault.

I should point out that we've previously had issues with this line - one failed exchange card, a street cabinet 'tidying up' operation, and also a battery fault on the line. The fault is definitely on BT's side of things, but I have no way of proving it. Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Intermittent line noise

Hi @wisewellies and welcome.

I'm sorry you're having problems getting the lie fault fixed. I can appreciate how frustrating this must be for you. I'll be happy to step in and lend a hand with this. If that suits please drop me over an email with your details and we'll take it from there. You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile. We're very busy at present so it's taking longer than expected to reply but once you submit the details we'll get to you in turn.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings