cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 3

Intermittent phone cut-out- trying to fault-find remotely!

My elderly mother is having trouble with her phone, but I don't live nearby to help her find out the problem. I've got a whole range of potential causes but it may be that someone out there can deduce anything by the symptoms. Basically, every now and again the phone cuts out during a call, it's completely dead her end but a recorded message plays to the other caller saying something like "please do not hang up". Then a short while later the call reconnects.

Now there have been questionable quality in calls from her landline for a while, but this particular behaviour hasn't happened until I bought her a new phone, a Gigaset C570.

One option is she's accidentally pressing one of the buttons against her face- I know you can mute a call from the handset, does anyone know if the other caller hears a recorded message like that if so?

However, and the reason I'm posting up here, is there anything in the BT system that plays a message like this if the line has a problem i.e. nothing inside the house?

Cheers for any help, I'll be googling issues with the phone separately.

Mark

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Intermittent phone cut-out- trying to fault-find remotely!

Is your mother a BT customer or does she pay her line rental to another ISP - SKY, Talk talk etc

bear in mind phone faults are responsibility of openreach not BT Retail

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: Intermittent phone cut-out- trying to fault-find remotely!

The ‘please don’t hang up’ is sent from the other party’s telco , so does this happen on calls from more than one person, and is that person (or persons)  also on ‘BT’ ?, assuming BT is your mothers provider .
It could be , that for whatever reason, your mother is effectively putting the existing call on hold , a legitimate use would be something like setting up a three party call, so it could be the phone instrument itself is faulty ( by indicating this to the calling party ) or as you say perhaps something like the ‘recall’ button is being inadvertently pressed, however I would have thought your mother would get a new dialtone in this situation rather than just a dead line.....TBH, before reporting a fault to her provider, I would try another phone, possibly with less features, to eliminate the possibly of miss-operation, or faulty kit.

0 Ratings