cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Is this a master socket?

• PXL_20210126_203329858.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210126_203321139.NIGHT.jpg

Hello all. I'd like to remove an extension socket from my living room (not used and becoming unsightly). I opened the master socket to check configuration and saw 3 identical cat5e cables as pictured. This doesn't look like a traditional 'master socket' but have been using it as one since we moved in 4 years ago (with filter). On the opposite side of this wall (external) are 2 grey cables feeding into the external wall. We have 2 other extension sockets in the house. Both have one cable with blue/white and brown/white cables fixed. Orange/white and green/white disconnected. Only using broadband, no landline. The big question is which cables do I disconnect to safely remove the extension (s) please? 
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Is this a master socket?

@Lukeferdinand 

Who provides your phone and broadband connection?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

It's BT
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

@Lukeferdinand wrote:
It's BT

Then the wiring is a total mess, and that is not a master socket.

Which BT Home hub are you using, and what broadband connection do you have?

You need to look for a socket like one of these, somewhere in the property.

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegKeith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

It looks like a secondary socket. The images below show the difference, note the capacitor (the yellow thing) is not in the secondary (on the right) as it's not needed

Phone sockets.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

We have a Home Hub 4 I believe and fibre essential (approx 30mb connection). I thought it wasn't a master socket but haven't really had a problem with it. It looks like this is being relayed from somewhere else? There are only 3 sockets in the property. The other 2 are clearly extensions. Previous owner had a conservatory fitted which meant we lost the external tap and maybe that has affected the master socket placement. Really my question is how to remove the other extensions safely but if this needs addressing first then I'm open to suggestions!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

@Lukeferdinand wrote:

We have a Home Hub 4 I believe and fibre essential (approx 30mb connection). I 

Then where is the white Openreach modem plugged in, as the home hub 4 will not work on fibre without a modem?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

The modem (and previous models) have always been plugged into this socket with a microfilter. There is no connectivity if plugged into the other 2 sockets. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

@Lukeferdinand wrote:

The modem (and previous models) have always been plugged into this socket with a microfilter. There is no connectivity if plugged into the other 2 sockets. 

If the  White Openreach modem plugs into this socket, then all you can do is to remove any extensions from that socket, however you really need to locate where the line comes into the house, and trace the cable from there.

Also, if you ask for one of the newer home hubs, you will not need the Openreach modem, as they plug directly into the line.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

OK, thanks. Yes, bizarrely the line appears to come into the house on the opposite side of the wall to this socket (almost exactly in the same place). I'll start with disconnecting from this socket (trial and error may have to be used here) and see if I can also make sense of what's happening inside the wall with the cabling. 

0 Ratings