Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mooly
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 4

Is this a new sophisticated scam ?

Go to solution

Just received a call from BT (Indian voice) the jist of which was to say that automatic changes to my contract mean I would no longer be charged weekend and evening calls (I think... hard to decipher the voice at times) and that line rental charges would not now apply. 

I was immediately suspicious and said as much at which point she then said you are Mr xyz, you live at and gave the correct address and postcode and finally said you pay by direct debit. I said a guarded yes at which point she said that we need to confirm the bank details (oh yes ! I wondered when that was coming) in order  to refund ??? the line rental and make sure I wasn't billed twice.

At which point I put the phone down. I suppose I should have asked her to give  me my account number... easyto think of things to do after the event and in any case I wouldn't have had it immediately to hand.

All very strange.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
pompey1898
Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Is this a new sophisticated scam ?

Go to solution

@Moolywrote:

Just received a call from BT (Indian voice) the jist of which was to say that automatic changes to my contract mean I would no longer be charged weekend and evening calls (I think... hard to decipher the voice at times) and that line rental charges would not now apply. 

I was immediately suspicious and said as much at which point she then said you are Mr xyz, you live at and gave the correct address and postcode and finally said you pay by direct debit. I said a guarded yes at which point she said that we need to confirm the bank details (oh yes ! I wondered when that was coming) in order  to refund ??? the line rental and make sure I wasn't billed twice.

At which point I put the phone down. I suppose I should have asked her to give  me my account number... easyto think of things to do after the event and in any case I wouldn't have had it immediately to hand.

All very strange.

No, it is not a new scam.  I used to get this, and many others, several times a day.

I now only get the very odd scammer, when they try new tricks.

0 Ratings
Mooly
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. It seems these scammers are getting ever more elaborate in their methods.   

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Hi. You said at the start you received a call from BT. It wasn't BT, but someone pretending to be.

It doesn't actually sound that sophisticated, particularly if they said no line rental applied.

Many scammers will have names & addresses, they'll assume most will pay by direct debit, but they won't have account number & bank stuff. Surely if they said you'll receive all those free goodies, then the DD would simply reduce. They don't need to call to get bank details ...

Unfortunately some people will fall for this.

0 Ratings