cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Is this number from bt a scam?

I received a call from bt from 03307267864 informing me whether I am aware  my bb is out of contract.? I have recontracted for another 24 months a couple of days.

ago. I ended the conversation and checked the number and it is from Samsung . I phoned bt and the advisor could not tell me whether the caller was a genuine bt call but confirmed that my bt contract is still active. Has it happened to anybody else? Thanks

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: Is this number from bt a scam?

It is a scam.  The number is most likely spoofed.

Highlighted
Message 3 of 16

@cherry76wrote:

I received a call from bt from 03307267864 informing me whether I am aware  my bb is out of contract.? I have recontracted for another 24 months a couple of days.

ago. I ended the conversation and checked the number and it is from Samsung . I phoned bt and the advisor could not tell me whether the caller was a genuine bt call but confirmed that my bt contract is still active. Has it happened to anybody else? Thanks

Interesting result when you search this number on Who Called Me.  As of just now 3,894 searches but only 12 comments ranging from "Samsung - Legitimate" to "Don't Answer/Call - Scam".

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 16

Hello,

I don't think it is a scam (or at least I hope not!) as I was called from a Scottish speaker who said he was from BT and when I asked him whereabouts he was calling from he said Sheffield.  He knew that I'd been helped by one of the Mods, a few days prior and also knew that my Broadband contract was coming to an end in December.  He said he was just ringing me to check that I was happy with the help given by the Mod who'd helped me.  I mean, if it was a scam,he wouldn't have known  that I'd been helped by one of the Mods. so I guess it's genuine.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 16

@ljmwrote:

Hello,

I don't think it is a scam (or at least I hope not!) as I was called from a Scottish speaker who said he was from BT and when I asked him whereabouts he was calling from he said Sheffield.  He knew that I'd been helped by one of the Mods, a few days prior and also knew that my Broadband contract was coming to an end in December.  He said he was just ringing me to check that I was happy with the help given by the Mod who'd helped me.  I mean, if it was a scam,he wouldn't have known  that I'd been helped by one of the Mods. so I guess it's genuine.

This is a real eye-opener. On the balance of evidence so far we seem to have a genuine number which scammers are also spoofing! Conclusion - you can't trust the caller display, whatever it says, and we need to take extra care identifying callers by other, incontrovertible means. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Yes it is when bt own staff does not know whether it is a scam or not. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 16

BT don't ring you to check customer satisfaction, they send you 3 questions by text which you're at liberty to ignore if you wish.

If you gave the caller your bank details then you need to contact your bank immediatley.

If you gave them any other personal details, say confirmed your BT account number, then you need to contact that company as well

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

@Longshanks0511 wrote:

@ljmwrote:

Hello,

This is a real eye-opener. On the balance of evidence so far we seem to have a genuine number which scammers are also spoofing! Conclusion - you can't trust the caller display, whatever it says, and we need to take extra care identifying callers by other, incontrovertible means. 

The whole point of scammers spoofing numbers is to make them appear to be coming from a genuine source so that you will accept it as genuine.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 16

@gg30340wrote:

The whole point of scammers spoofing numbers is to make them appear to be coming from a genuine source so that you will accept it as genuine.

Of course, but I thought most of their attempts used random domestic numbers once only rather than a specifically identified and repeated number actually belonging to the organisation they're mimicking.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

If they are trying to get info from you it makes sense they use the genuine company's phone number.

You should always be alert when you receive an unsolicited call asking for any personal info, bank details, account details etc.

If in doubt ask the caller for a reference number and that you will call the company back. Make sure you use the company's phone number sourced by you and not supplied by the scammer and phone your own house number first to ensure the scammer is not still on the line. If he is he will answer the call. If he is not the phone will be engaged.