cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 11 of 16

Re: Is this number from bt a scam?

I'm beginning to wonder if if BT is keeping customer data safe - as it is legally obliged to do.  Some time ago I had an email inviting me to click to contact BT.  Of course I didn't and deleted the email.  Nothing too suspicious there because spam / phishing attempt email is pretty common.

However then within 20 minutes  I received an incoming call on my BT landline saying it was from BT.  I never use my landline (only have a line for broadband) and I never give out the landline number,  The guy had an Indian sounding accent, knew my BT account number and  about a recent genuine technical support contact I had with BT.

He started taking about a non-existent mobile order and then changed tack to try and engage me about broadband speed.  It was obviously a fake call and I gave no information and hung up.

BT confirmed the phone call did not come from them although a presumably spoofed UK number appeared on caller display.

What got me wondering about BT data security is the fact that within the space of 20 minutes scammers appeared to know my email address, landline number, BT account number and a recent technical support contact.  All of that information is only held by BT and literally no-one else.  My computer is malware, virus free and routinely scanned so extremely unlikely to be the result of any data leak..

Last week I saw a BBC news report about arrests after Indian call centre scams were revealed.  It left me wondering how safe our data is with BT having outsourced customer service for years.

I reported this apparent breach to BT but heard nothing more.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 16

My understanding (right or wrong) is that the Indian call centers are contractors who have access to a limited amount of information. My guess is that this is the most likely source of any data breech

Highlighted
Expert
Message 13 of 16

Hello Rotarua674,

I agree entirely with your views on this issue.  I have had calls in the past from someone (usually a man or lady with an Indian accent) purporting to be from BT and these calls usually come within a week or two of me posting a problem.  One of the things which threw me on this last phone call, which ive mentioned, was the fact that he sounded completely genuine, had a Scottish accent (not the usual Indian accent), he knew I'd been helped by one of the Mods a few days prior and also knew that my Broadband Contract was up for renewal next month.  Now, that's quite a lot of info. for it to be a mere coincidence, isn't it?

So, yes, Rotarua I do believe you are correct in assuming these scam calls may be linked to a  data safety issue.

Highlighted
Message 14 of 16

@ljmwrote:

Hello Rotarua674,

Now, that's quite a lot of info. for it to be a mere coincidence, isn't it?

...then multiple that by the number of incidences of subscribers reporting similar circumstances , including me, and you have a compelling case, I suggest, for an investigation.

Question is, can such an investigation reasonably be carried out by BT?  My personal belief is that it would need to be independent, not least because of the potential for findings to lead to criminal proceedings. 

Highlighted
Expert
Message 15 of 16

Advice from gg30340 on this thread is very useful to know.Thanks.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 16 of 16

@ljm wrote:

Hello,

I don't think it is a scam (or at least I hope not!) as I was called from a Scottish speaker who said he was from BT and when I asked him whereabouts he was calling from he said Sheffield.  He knew that I'd been helped by one of the Mods, a few days prior and also knew that my Broadband contract was coming to an end in December.  He said he was just ringing me to check that I was happy with the help given by the Mod who'd helped me.  I mean, if it was a scam,he wouldn't have known  that I'd been helped by one of the Mods. so I guess it's genuine.

Hi @ljm,

Thanks for sharing your experience.  @V_Meldrew is correct BT wouldn't be calling you to find out how another team has dealt with your complaint so this leads me to speculate that the call you received was not genuine.  If you would like us to take a look at your account to confirm then I am more than happy to do this.  I've dropped you a private message with instructions on how to contact us, if you so wish.

I am sorry for anyone who receives scams especially when the scammer pretends to be representative of BT.  Scams are becoming more and more sophisticated so it can be extremely difficult to tell a scam call from a genuine call.  @gg30340 advise is sound, Don't give out personal details to a caller and if in any doubt call the company directly to discuss the matter.  The only real way to protect yourself from scam is to remain highly vigilant.

I have just recently updated BT's advise on scams so check out this link for further info, Be aware of scams - What to look out for and how to spot a scam

Please report all scam calls via this link, Report a scam call

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings