cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katia
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Just moved house, how to connect a landline (existing phone number has an engaged tone)

Go to solution

Hello

My (slightly elderly) mother has just moved home. She urgently needs access to a landline but is having to use her mobile at the moment. There is a landline/phone at the property, she says it has a constantly engaged tone if she picks it up. She does not know what the telephone number is or how to get started. I've not had a landline for years and have not been much help! I am wondering if anyone can help us? We want to connect the BT landline back up. At this stage she does not want broadband or related packages - just needs to urgently have use of the landline.

TIA

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Just moved house, how to connect a landline (existing phone number has an engaged tone)

Go to solution

@katia 

You will have to choose a Service Provider, and then place an order for a phone line.

The existing line could have been from a different provider, and will now not work.

This is a BT Retail forum, and can only really help if you plan to order a phone line from BT.

Is it BT that you want service from?

katia
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Re: Just moved house, how to connect a landline (existing phone number has an engaged tone)

Go to solution

I think she just wants a basic BT landline package so she can get on with sorting some other urgent issues out (other suppliers are charging her a lot of money and she's getting in a pickle). She might change provider later on though.  What you said makes sense though, i'll try and talk her through it. Gotta love helping elderly relatives remotely! Thanks.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

You can simply go online and order a phone line via the BT website. There will be a charge for re-connection, but that would be the same for all providers.

Start here https://www.bt.com/landline/

And https://www.bt.com/landline/deals

You should be given a date for installation.

RobbieMac
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @katia,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for your post!

@Keith_Beddoe has offered some sound advice.  Follow the links that he posted above and you can place an order for your Mum that way.  Although the socket may still be in the house the line would need to be activated remotely for your Mum to make calls.  Once you get an order placed you'll have a better idea when that is going to be.

Cheers,

Robbie

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

if just a landline then check to see if your mother qualifies for BT Basic

https://btplc.com/inclusion/ProductsAndServices/BTBasic/index.htm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
katia
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks all, you've been very helpful X

0 Ratings