cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

LOST LANDLINE NUMBER - PLEASE HELP!!!

I have recently moved only a mile up the road and asked BT to transfer my landline number to my new address.
I own both properties, the property I have moved into had a line but it wasn't active.

Instead of doing this, they disconnected the line completely to my old address and didn't transfer the number, and despite endless calls to BT and hours on the phone to point out their error they have arranged for a new line to be connected to the new property with a brand new number!!!!!!!

THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANT!!

This number has been with us for nearly 40 years from when my mother and father first had it installed when we were kids.
I live in a very rural and mountainous area where mobile phone signal is patchy at best so apart from the obvious sentimental reasons for keeping the number, this number is the only way over the last 40 years people can contact me or my family.

This has been an ongoing saga since about the 14/12/2019. Only today has the phone been connected with a completely different number!! I should not be the one to suffer the consequences of an errors made by BT.

PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY HELP
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Message 2 of 12

Re: LOST LANDLINE NUMBER - PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi @Farmboy1 and welcome.

I'm really sorry you've had so many problems moving the number. Is the new line on the same exchange? Have you requested a renumber to your old number on the new line?

Cheers

David

Expert
Message 3 of 12

@Farmboy1 

Just to clarify 2 things: 

1: The original number was with BT?

2: You have moved address' and stayed with BT?

@DavidM  beat me to it! 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Yes, original number was with BT and I'm still with BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

@Farmboy1 

Welcome to this user forum.

For you to keep your BT phone number when you move, your new address has to be physically connected to the same BT exchange building as your old address.

Its possible that moving a mile, has resulted in you being connected to a different exchange building.

One way to check this is to use the BT broadband availability checker, and entering your old address and making a note of the name of the exchange.

Then repeating it for the new address, and seeing if the exchange names are the same.

If they are the same, then I can ask for assistance.

If they are not, then there is nothing that can be done.

Use this form to check the names of the exchanges against the addresses.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput

Please do not post any personal details  here, just the names of the exchanges.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Yes, new line is on the same exchange. Spoke to BT operative at various times about retaining the number but didn't get much action.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

@Farmboy1 wrote:

Yes, new line is on the same exchange. Spoke to BT operative at various times about retaining the number but didn't get much action.

Thanks for that.

@DavidM  Should be able to sort this out for you, watch this space.

Provided of course, you are a BT residential customer and not a BT Business one.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 12

@Farmboy1

Is it a residential (not business) number?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

It is a residential number. Exchange is TALGARTH Cabinet 3.
Both addresses on same exchange.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

@Farmboy1  @DavidM  will be able to make a request for your number and Openreach will allocate the number to the order.

0 Ratings