Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
aptguy
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Land line can ring but no dial tone

Hope this is the right board. If not, my apologies.

I live in the top floor (2nd floor) of an old apartment block in southeast.

Been a BT line rental customer for a decade. I have ASDL with O2(which became Sky). Used to get upto 4 MBPS and I was happy with that. Since last week broadband slowed, and right now broadband does not work at all.

I get no dialtone on the land line phone. If I call the number (from say my mobile), it rings, but if I pick up, I get nothing.

Called BT, they did some remote checks and could not find a problem. Sending an engineer will cost £89 if it turns out to be a non-BT-network problem. It could be the apartment block or something in my flat. I pay rent, so called my letting agent and they wont help and asked me to contact "Block management".

I have not tampered with the wall socket, so why should I have to pay £89 ? What are my options here really ?

appreciate any response. Thanks a ton !

- AG

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Land line can ring but no dial tone

Hi @aptguy. I've moved your thread to the landline faults section of the community as we're not supplying your broadband. Have you tried a working phone in the test socket?

There may be a £85 charge if we send out an engineer to fix a fault or make an improvement, but it's free of charge if the problem is with our network outside the boundary of your premises.

You'll be charged if the problem is caused by things like:

• Your main socket, due to damage you've caused
  • Your home phone extension wiring
  • The way you've connected up your equipment
  • Interference from something else in your home, like your phone, alarm system, or a faulty microfilter
  • A faulty BT Hub that's out of warranty (your Hub is in warranty if you're in contract)
  • Damage caused by damp, flood, fire, or building work
  • Damage outside caused by things like broken guttering or trees
  • Telephone wires that have been accidently cut

We won't be able to tell you if there's a charge until after an engineer visits your premises. So it's worth trying our landline and broadband troubleshooters to test your line and run through some quick checks.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

It's unusual to have your line rental with someone other than your broadband ISP. Is your line rental not included in the package price you pay SKY for broadband?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 15

@imjolly. It can be done. My sister has BT broadband but line rental from No idea, has changed so many times I can't keep up
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
aptguy
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Thanks for everyone's responses. It has been so many years I cannot remember how I got different provider for land line vs broadband. This was probably way back in 2008 or something when BT was perhaps the only land line provider and I went for the cheapest ADSL broadband deal with O2 at the time which later became SKY.

The 4 MBPS average speed I used to get was enough and I did not bother looking for better deals or faster speeds. I think I am paying a fortune for line rental + broadband, just been lazy.

Anyways, still not getting a dial tone or broadband (using mobile hotspot tethering to type this). Looked at the wiring in my apartment, followed it all the way from the socket leading up to the outside of my flat. The wiring looks fine *inside* the flat. Checked with my neighbor - they have broadband + land line with Sky and they dont have any problems. 

So the problem is most likely not inside my apartment or even the block. Can BT tell me if other customers in my flat have the same problem ? 

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

If you are not getting dial tone at the test socket behind the removable faceplate of the master socket, you need an engineer visit.

The status of neighbours service is pretty irrelevant.

Message 7 of 15

Hi @aptguy and thanks for posting.

In order to eliminate any possibility of the internal wiring being the cause of the problem you should try connecting the phone to the test socket behind the master faceplate as advised by both @NeilO and @licquorice . If you get no dial tone in the test socket then the problem is outside your property and a call out change won't apply.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
aptguy
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Thanks for the responses again.

I am not sure where is the "test socket behind the removable faceplate of the master socket".

Attaching an image of my wall socket inside the apartment. The phone is plugged in as you can see, but I dont get a dial tone. I followed the cable over the corners of the walls etc and there is no visible damage. Once it gets out of the apartment, I am not sure where exactly it goes from there.

Should I try opening the screws that are visible below ?

Cheers

phone.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

No, that's an old type of socket that doesn't have a test socket. You need an engineer visit.

aptguy
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Thanks for the response.

So it could be one of three problems : 1) wiring problem inside the flat 2) wiring problem outside the flat but in the building. 3) BT network problem.

When I called BT last week, they said I will be charged £85 if it turns out to be (1) or (2). My landlord / letting agent doesnt want to help. I have not spoken to "Block management" yet, but perhaps they will cover the cost if it turns out to be (2).

So, if it turns out to be (1) or (2) I guess I will need a thorough letter from BT to detail the diagnosis so I can get the money reimbursed from whoever is responsible (at least I can hope). I have not tampered with the socket so I dont think it is my fault.

I am just curious what could be the problem ? Maybe a rat chewed thru the wires 🙂 ? as far as I can see, the wiring looks good (or as it always did) at least inside the flat.

Another option I am considering is leave BT and Sky altogether and go with a new provider who does both landline and ASSL broadband. Since I would be a new customer, hopefully I will get some good customer service. They dont need to know that I dont get a dialtone.

Cheers.

0 Ratings