cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 15

Re: Land line can ring but no dial tone

Unless you go to a cable company it will still be Openreach that install/repair your telephone line.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
aptguy
Beginner
Message 12 of 15

Thanks Devon_Dave. Openreach is still BT, am I right ?

Okay, so if it comes to repairing telephone line, it will still be BT. I get that, but I am wondering what might be the most likely reason for my problem.  Do telephone cables inside the apartment jut wear out after N number of years ? I live in a very old flat, and on a general note my landlord does not like to spend any money to do any routine maintenance. He waits until things break down and if things are really broken, then he fixes them. I really dont know how old the wiring and electrical cabling inside my apartment are and whether you are supposed to do any maintenance say every 10 years.  Everything looked very old and worn out when I moved in 12 years ago.

I go for a new provider, since I would be a new customer I thought I could get them to come and take a look for free. On the other hand with my current situation, I cannot even disgnose the problem without risking a £90 charge and then I am not sure who will pay for it.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 15

@aptguywrote:

Thanks Devon_Dave. Openreach is still BT, am I right ? No.  They are seperate companies within the BT Group.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 15

The fault could be anywhere between your flat and the exchange and can be caused by a 1001 different things. Just book an engineer.
0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 15 of 15

Hi @aptguy  and thanks for posting.

I can appreciate how you might be reluctant to go down the engineer route give the possibility of charges but to get to the bottom of the problem you should contact the faults team on 151. They will be able to run some diagnostics on the line to determine if an engineer is required. If you're not comfortable with the visit then you can always decline it.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings