cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Landline Cable/wire broken

Go to solution

Hi all been having a few problems lately with landline and while I was checking the line etc I went out side the house as the cable has been in disrepair ever since we moved here a couple years ago.  I had forgotten about this for ages. I had contacted my previous provider to try and get it sorted but it never happened so I thought I had better find out how and who is responsible for this connection. According to the website everything inside the boundary is my responsibility, not sure how that works as the cable to my house is 60% outside the boundary and 20ft high going to the pole.

Anyway the main line gets to the wall of my house fine, where it should be enclosed in a junction box it isnt, the wires are just hanging down. This morning we had no service at all so had to do something.

I spoke to my provider who is yet to get back to me (there's a surprise)

I decided to get ladders out and try and at least check the line where they are connected. Once I checked the main line is secured to house but where the drop cable is connected to the main line one of the wires (Orange) has corroded and broken, the other is still connected. I stripped the broken wire and reconnected the orange wire to the disconnected main line with just a chocolate block for now. We now have service.

My question is who is responsible for the external junction box and what 'should be' the enclosed weatherproof connection?

My other question is the connection inside my house is just as old I am guessing, it is a simple small connector box that has never had a cover ever since we moved here. What do I need to do to replace that? Can I replace that with the BT type wall box NTE5A? Thanks for any response I appreciate your time...

106582819_3429265043758491_8155673707523243253_n.jpg106612281_3429264710425191_8928086143515251526_n.jpgImage1.jpg 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Landline Cable/wire broken

Go to solution

All the wiring right up to the master socket is responsibility of openreach  it should be reported to your ISP who should organise and openreach engineer to visit andfix your wiring. You should not be repairing the external wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Hi thanks I appreciate that, I did think that was the case but wanted to make sure, I still haven't heard from ISP and I called them at 1000hrs I explained the problem they stated they would get back to me... I having messaged them via FB this was their response ...... 'you'll need to contact Open reach. You can speak with them by calling 0800 023 2023 then select option 1 to be put through to the relevant department. ..... Anyway I will hopefully hear fro them tomorrow..... Thanks again for your help...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

It's up to your provider to contact Openreach. Openreach will not deal with you unless its a health and safety issue.

Unless there is an actual fault, they will not be interested.

Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

That number for Openreach is to report Damage to their Line Plant, i.e. Cab Doors Open, Car Hitting a Telephone Pole or anything Dangerous like Low Flying Wires.

Your CP sounds next to useless, if they even bothered to test the line it’d test One Leg DIS at DP/EU Premises. 

That grey lead into your house is an old Drop Wire 6 and the Internal Joint Box it’s connected to isn’t even a Standard one and will all need replacing by Openreach.

Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

I’d also hazard a guess the internal lead (red/black cable) the drop wire 6 is jointed to is an Alarm Cable.

Some Billy Bodger I Know a Guy Who can do it a Lot Cheaper has obviously been advertising locally. 😒

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Great information from you guys thanks I really appreciate the advice and wealth of knowledge you have.

I will be getting this 'installation' dragged into the 21st century now....

Thank you ...

0 Ratings