cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Highlighted
areid72
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Landline Dead Broadband Working Plugging Phone Direct to Test Sock Workihg baffled?

Go to solution

I noticed a few days ago my landline was dead i dont really use it and as my broadband was working it wasn't a problem. However i have noticed my broadband is intermttently slow and downloading from sky seems to take forever (assuming this is because my phone line isn't working).

So decided to investigate further

i removed the front plate from the socket and plugged the landine in and it works fine

plugged the phone into the splitter and plugged that in to the test socked and phone and broadband work fine

plugging the phone extension and phone in test socket works fine 

but if i put the front plate on and plug the phone in no dial tone

if i plug the phone extension into the splitter and broadband works but no phone

now assuming this is the faulty phone extension remove that plug phone directly into splitter

no broadband and no phone working?!

plug the phone extension into the splitter broadband works but still no phone

i am totally baffled any help appreciated its driving me mental πŸ˜•

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Landline Dead Broadband Working Plugging Phone Direct to Test Sock Workihg baffled?

Go to solution
sound like a faulty faceplate or extension wiring
0 Ratings
areid72
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Re: Landline Dead Broadband Working Plugging Phone Direct to Test Sock Workihg baffled?

Go to solution
Thanks for replying i have ordered a new face plate so will see if that fixes it...
but i am just baffled by the only way to get the broadband working is to plug the phone extension cable into the splitter any ideas?
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Is the removable master socket panel a filtered one ? is there any extension wiring connected to it ?

If no extension wiring connected to it but when the socket assembled the fault is present but in the test socket no problem then it does suggest the panel faulty, a filtered panel has electronics that can go wrong, ordinary ones dont ( but can occasionally fail)

If there is a cable connected to the panel that runs to your extension socket(s) then the fault is probably on that cable or socket 

0 Ratings
areid72
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply i have ordered a new face plate to see if that fixes it.

Everything individually works when plugged into the test socket

but only the Broadband works when the front plate is on and the phone extension lead is plugged in to he spliter the broadband doesn't work if the phone is plugged directly into the splitter

and the phone doesn't work at all

so i just hope the front plate fixes it otherwise i will go insane trying to figure it out πŸ™‚

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution
are there any wires connected to the back of the front plate?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
areid72
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for reply no there are no wires connected to the front plate should there be?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

@areid72 wrote:

Thanks for reply no there are no wires connected to the front plate should there be?

Not unless you have any extensions, as the only place they should be connected to, is the front plate, so that if the front plate is removed, the extensions are disconnected. This allows you to prove whether the fault is inside or outside of your house.

If your extensions are connected to any other place, then your internal phone wiring is incorrect, as there should be no connections to your phone line, before the master socket.

As a matter of interest, which BT Home hub do you have, as there were issues with the home hub 2 internal phone circuitry?

0 Ratings
areid72
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply

it is BT Home Hub 3

The master socket has the ASDL filter attached which has the ADSL modem an phone extension attached

the broadband works fine but the phone does not

if i remove the front plate and plug the phone direct to the test socket phone works

if i plug the asdl filter into the test socked broadband and phone work

if i put the front plate back on and insert the adsl filter the Broadband works but the phone doesn't so confused!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Is the master socket a filtered one like this?

adslface.jpg

0 Ratings