Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Najum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Landline Number Porting

Go to solution

I joined BT in October and been confirmed that I will get my old landline number back which is deactivated by SKY while moving to Virgin. I am living at same address and had this number for more than 12 years. BT allocated a different landline number and have been told to contact porting team to get my old number back. I called twice to port my old number  but order keep failing every time. The number was originally from BT.  Sky informed as that the number is with BT and at the same exchange where I connected now. I am living at same address and no change at all.  As the number was deactivated by SK,  BT can do manual intervention to get the number back.  Every time  we placed an order within a couple of days it says your order is not progressed as we need some details from you please contact us.

We need this number as some of our old relatives here and overseas only remember this number.   

Can any one help me how to resolve this issue?

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Landline Number Porting

Go to solution

I am missing something I think. You have just moved from SKY to BT so not sure where Virgin come into it and number being deactivated?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

@Najum 

Can you please confirm that the number that you are trying to get back, actually belongs to BT Retail?

If you have a quick look at the OFCOM website :-

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/index.htm#geog1

and download the spreadsheet that contains your local  number range (note the numbers exclude the leading zero). The line in the spreadsheet will show to whom the range is allocated.

If it does belong to BT, and it was originally allocated to you at your current address, then it should be possible to ask for a renumber, but its likely to fail without manual intervention.

If you can confirm both those things, and you have an active working line with BT Retail, then a moderator can be asked to assist.

Bear in mind its likely to take a bit of time, as they are very busy at the moment.

0 Ratings
Najum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

Hi

I moved to SKY to Virgin in August 20.  Virgin unable to port as SKY cancelled and deactivate the number.

I am with BT now.

Thanks

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

So you are not porting your number as that was lost when you moved from SKY to Virgin and found that could not be done.  You have now moved on to BT and received a new number and you are now trying to retrieve an old number.  As @Keith_Beddoe posted you are going to need mod help to get your old number back after it has been returned to BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Najum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

It is belong to BT Retail. The number I received from BT when I join in 20 years back.

Sky confirmed the number gone back to BT.   When I move from Sky to Virgin the number cancelled by error in August 20.

I have active working land line with BT now.  I have a package of fibre broadband and landline

I am having difficulty to find the number in Ofcom website.   I was using the number at current address.

Help me to get my number back. Thank you

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

i have asked a mod to see if they can help  they are very busy just now so may take few days for mods to respond

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

Hi @Najum welcome to the forum and sorry you have lost your number with the transfer of your service.

It sounds like your number has got stuck in the transfer from Sky to Virgin and you have ordered service with BT but not as a transfer of service. If that's the case it can take up to 14 days after the order to move your number from Sky to Virgin is cancelled before the number may become available again. 

When was your service with Virgin switched off?

Have you spoken with customer services as if the number is available they would be able to arrange for a standard renumber of your line and a number port would not be required.

cheers

John

Najum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

@JohnC2 

Thank you for your response.

Spoke to customer services and porting team and started the process of renumbering as it available. They confirmed porting is not required as the both numbers are from BT.  They told number might change between now and 18/11/20.

I can see on My BT app that the order is progressing.

I will get touch with you if I have any issue.  Thanks for your help.

Regards

0 Ratings
Najum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution
Hi John
Now i got a message saying you order has not progressed as expected.
We need to speak with you to confirm some details. Virgin not able to port the number on installation day due to some technical issue and Sky cancelled the number after a week in Aug 2020. Number never transferred Virgin. Number is not active now. Sky said the number gone back to BT and remain with them. Please arrange for a standard renumber of my landline. Thanks
0 Ratings