cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Landline built off wrong exchange.

Hi,

I'm wondering if anybody here can help me. I recently moved house, and shortly before moving I placed an order for BT FTTP as this was the only provider available in the area. 2 days after I moved in, the BT engineer was here and he brought the fibre cable into the house and I was connected. I asked him if he was going to sort the copper landline out aswell but the engineer said that was "nothing to do with him" and it was a matter of plugging the phone in and seeing if it worked. Well it doesn't, the phone is completely dead. No ringtone.

I reported this to BT, which then sent another engineer out, this engineer connected up his gadgets and basically said that BT have "built" my number off the wrong exchange. They have built it off exchange A which is the village down the road that way, but the physical cable from my house goes to exchange B which is the village down the road the other way.

This is where the problems begin. I have had 7 engineers out since. Yes 7!! Which all tell me the same thing. They are all Openreach engineers (the second to last was actually a Kelly Communications subcontractor) and they all report what needs doing back to BT, but nothing ever gets done.

I am being absolutely spammed with text messages from BT on a weekly basis now, saying "Hi this is numpty number 2 from BT, I will be calling you from an 0800 number in the next few minutes" then the phone call proceeds with is your landline working now, to which i reply No it isn't. Leave it with me then. Countless times over and over again. I am getting sick and tired of the one-way customer service of BT can only ring the customer and the customer cannot contact BT. Masking themselves behind an 0800 number all the time.

To top this off, I got a phone call a few weeks ago from a chap at BT basically telling me the engineer has raised the wrong type of ticket, he had raised an ABC ticket when he should have raised a XYZ ticket, and that he can't "copy and paste" from the system or something. He then proceeded to tell me what to "tell the engineer" when he comes next. Are you being serious? What am I now, some kind of liaison officer. If communication is bad between BT and Openreach, how is that the customer's problem? I couldn't give a monkeys what kind of ticket he's raised. I'm a customer and my landline is not operational.

The thing is, I am PAYING for this landline which I cannot use. My mobile phone signal is sketchy otherwise I probably would not be bothered, but I am relying on a landline to be able to make calls and run errands. Also it's DANGEROUS as I have no way of contacting the emergency services if I ever had to!!

I have explained to BT that they obviously cannot supply me with a landline, so can you please take it off my bill and i will just pay for the fibre connection, to which they have declined as it comes as a "package". A package that you can not fulfil.

Consequently I would just sack you numpties off all together, but unfortunately you are the only ones that can supply me an internet connection to this area in the countryside. A term which i believe the british refer to as "got you by the balls".

Absolutely notorious it is. This has been going on for 3 months now.

Somebody please help!!!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Landline built off wrong exchange.

@generalexception 

If you have moved house, and you are no longer in the same exchange area, then you would be given a new phone number off the exchange that you are connected to now, as each exchange has its own unique number range.

Its possible that the phone part of the order has been missed, or BT are intending to provide the phone over the fibre connection, where it would appear on the TEL1 socket on the Openreach ONT.

This is just a customer to customer forum, and unfortunately the forum moderators, who are BT Employees, cannot deal with FTTP issues.

You would have to speak to the FTTP team on 0800 587 4787.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Have you tried connecting your phone to the ONT which you must have installed with FTTP   That might explain why you have no copper phone connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

@Keith_Beddoe Yes, this is certainly what has happened. I have been given a new phone number off exchange A. But the copper cable from the house runs to exchange B!! Because BT's routing records or whatever are all mixed up.

Phone part of the order has not been missed, and BT cannot provide and are not intending to provide the phone over the fibre connection. I do not have the TEL light lit on the ONT box and BT have confirmed that they cannot provide this service for some reason.

So to clarify this is not a FTTP problem. This is a copper phone line problem.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

@imjolly Yes I have tried connecting the phone to the TEL socket on the ONT. It is still dead. To clarify, I do have a copper phone cable coming into the property, and I do have a master socket. The physical cable is running to exchange B but for some reason BT think it's going to exchange A so have activated my number on exchange A. My number needs to be activated on exchange B and 7 engineers have confirmed this, but BT are just not doing it for some reason.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Your ISP BT Retail have no say in where your line is connected as this is decided by  openreach 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

I think the only way forward is going to be to ask one of the moderators to look at the phone part of the order, as that appears to be separate from the FTTP part.

You appreciate that you are going to end up with a different phone number anyway.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

@imjolly Yes I am aware of this, but as I have stated above, I believe "BT Retail" think that my physical line goes to exchange A, where in fact it goes to exchange B. So whatever they do to give me a number, routing record or whatever, is going to exchange A where my physical line does not exist.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

@Keith_Beddoe Thank you!!! I couldn't give a monkey what the number is, just as long as I have a dial tone and a working line.

Like I've mentioned, 7, yes that is "SEVEN" engineers have all said the same thing, physical copper cable is running to exchange B, and BT have "built" or "activated" my number on exchange A and they just need to activate it on the correct exchange. I'm really not sure whats difficult to understand about this.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

0 Ratings