cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Landline call quality

We are having trouble at the moment with call quality on BT landline. The caller volume seems to fade so you can hardly hear them. But they seem to be able to hear you ok.  Also sometimes the call gets cut off midway for no apparent reason.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Landline call quality

Can you try a known working corded phone and listen If  the call  quality is any better? 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

Just for clarity, because some people use the term ‘BT landline’ to indicate it’s an Openreach line but not necessarily that they pay BT for line rental , so are BT your provider or is it someone else that just use OR infrastructure ?
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Yes BT is provider

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

I don't think it is down to the actual telephone instrument. We have just got a brand new BT4600 and the batteries are fully charged. Besides, why should it affect the volume in and not out, or cause the call to be cut off completely from time to time?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

@john_r1 wrote:

I don't think it is down to the actual telephone instrument. We have just got a brand new BT4600 and the batteries are fully charged. Besides, why should it affect the volume in and not out, or cause the call to be cut off completely from time to time?

Its either a line fault, or most likely a faulty line card in the exchange.

Have you reported the poor quality calls to BT? You can do this via the normal online fault reporting page. That also runs a line test for you.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

I've tried the BTwebsite and the fault reporting feature but it is not very helpful for these circumstances. The diagnostic test finds no faults and then asks you to check the socket. As it is intermittent it does not fall into the listed categories....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@john_r1 

Have you tried leaving the phone plugged into the test socket, to see if the problem is still there, as its not unknown for the master socket front, to make bad contact with the test socket?

0 Ratings